Sign in to follow this  
kiwi535

E34 owners

We all know(dont we?) that the wiring on the LH boot hinge is prone to damage.Due to my locking woes I thought i had better start with the obvious.

The right rear foglight (on the boot lid) only works when the boot is open,everything else seems to work normally,ie locking and unlocking from boot and boot always is same lock staus as car.

Lie down in the boot and release the "cable tie".Despite several attempts to undo it i finally snapped it trying to pry the little plastic lugs back.With a sharp knfe carefully slice the tape wrapping the loom .I was confronted with gliittering copper wire.There are 19 wires in that loom and one was completely broken and at least half have have severe insulation damage..It is a careless piece of design or assembly.The loom is tied to the parcel shelf,and less than 50mm(if that) from the last cable tie it is tied to the boot hinge with a hard plastic sheath.The proximity of the hard plastic sheath to the last cable tie means the wire is bent and twisted every time the boot is opened stessing the wires and insulation leading to the damage.Yours will all be the same.If you have any locking issues and or your boot doesnt lock/unlock the car/with the car,or have number plate warnings etc....it will be that hinge

yea , and its a pain to take boot lid off cause the wiring is permently attach to car wiring harness .

If you look at the boot of the e39, everything is different. The hinges are outside the opening and don't swing into the boot. The loom is still inside the opening, but well protected. Obviously the germans learn from their mistakes.

Speaking of boot lids: Brent, do you have a spare plastic "nut" to secure the top of the tool kit to the boot lid? Mine has been missing since I got my car, and I want to rebuild the tool kit ^_^

If you look at the boot of the e39, everything is different. The hinges are outside the opening and don't swing into the boot. The loom is still inside the opening, but well protected. Obviously the germans learn from their mistakes.

Speaking of boot lids: Brent, do you have a spare plastic "nut" to secure the top of the tool kit to the boot lid? Mine has been missing since I got my car, and I want to rebuild the tool kit ^_^

yes , i have one .

call me 021433600

just make sure wires dont get caught when you shut the boot..makes a mess

Edited by nz320i