Sign in to follow this  
joedavidson

535i m30 noisy valves

my 535i valves seem real noisy.iv heard people say they were alway noisy even from new ,but sound a bit far fetched to me, i have adjusted the gap a few times to the required size but still chatter away. now im thinking it could be worn valve eccentrics, iv been quoted $17 each for them and need 12!, adds up real fast for somthing in not sure will solve the problem.has anybody encounterd this?. can anybody help

my 535i valves seem real noisy.iv heard people say they were alway noisy even from new ,but sound a bit far fetched to me, i have adjusted the gap a few times to the required size but still chatter away. now im thinking it could be worn valve eccentrics, iv been quoted $17 each for them and need 12!, adds up real fast for somthing in not sure will solve the problem.has anybody encounterd this?. can anybody help

adjusted to what valve clearance??

what condition are the rockers and cam in?

Pretty sure it's not the eccentrics wearing that will cause clatter, but the pad on top of the valve.

Thus when the feeler gauge is placed between the eccentric surface and the now-concave pad, it will give the clearance between the eccentric and the outer/uppermost limit of pad, as opposed to the eccentric and the inner/lower most depth of the pad. The first method is still nonetheless the correct way to do the clearances and put up with the noise.

Inspect the eccentrics, inspect the pads. Also perhaps check the cam followers for wear.

EDIT: P.S we read that they are noisy, but the only noise my M10's (essentially a shortened M30) have had when in good tune was a whisper and the click clack of injectors.

I replaced the timing chain on one M10 at 125,000km due to an OCD- inducing clatter when warm and it became whisper quiet. 'Was very cheap by getting a master-linked aftermarket chain wound on by a competent mechanic. About $210 including parts. I have a spare, new chain also: simplex M10 fitment, unsure if M30's took the same simplex chain or not. (the diagnostic process on this went over the head of every mechanic I took it to)

Edited by nath

check for camshaft wear , very comon on m30 engines ,

oil spray rail bolts come loose , and lack of oiling to the camshaft.

normally front lobes are the worse.

if there is a grove in the lobes then you will need a new camshaft.

also when doing the valve asjustment , do it when engine is stone cold.

and should be tight fit with the feeler gauges but not dragging too much

check for camshaft wear , very comon on m30 engines ,

True, lobes and also actual camshaft radial wear causing play apparently.