Sign in to follow this  
Niraj

m20b25 tune up

so i have moved away to study and my car was for sale. since it has not been sold and ill be coming back home soon im thinkin about starting some work on it. I have a fair idea on what im doing but any advice from a veteran would be good advice.

Im think about either to stroke the engine to 2.8 or get an sc14 supercharger!!!! need for speed haha

what is best in your opinion and what would be better dollars wise.

also if anyone has done either one of these before i would like to hear from you

thanks

M50B25/M52B28 swap is probably best dollar wise...

There's a SC14 swap thread, done by "bravo" big write up, lots of pictures.

Myself, I'd go M5x depending on your skill level.. M50B25 is a near on direct swap.. and it's got more potential depending on how big your wallet is..

Edited by antil33t

How much are you wanting to spend?

How much of the work can you do yourself?

And how much time do you have to get it done?

Why not turbo?

If it were me i'd be pricing all of it up and posting up what you find. This way people can add to it the little bits you might forget.

Sort out the tune or tune and engine machinist before diving in. If they are any good they should have some other answers for you

M50B25/M52B28 swap is probably best dollar wise...

There's a SC14 swap thread, done by "bravo" big write up, lots of pictures.

Myself, I'd go M5x depending on your skill level.. M50B25 is a near on direct swap.. and it's got more potential depending on how big your wallet is..

hahaha yeah its all about the dollars.

funny enough i study in dunedin what car do you have.

i have never work on a bmw before but i been researching for a long time and it seems like something doable and i have some mechanics in the family too help out but rather keep family away haha

how much do you think a swap would cost

How much are you wanting to spend?

How much of the work can you do yourself?

And how much time do you have to get it done?

Why not turbo?

If it were me i'd be pricing all of it up and posting up what you find. This way people can add to it the little bits you might forget.

Sort out the tune or tune and engine machinist before diving in. If they are any good they should have some other answers for you

turbo is out of the picture too many people have done it its a personal choice too.

price hmmm well not like 4k but im kinda flexible yet try to work efficiently.

i have some idea of prices for both but i would like to know what the experts think is reasonable and what parts they would suggest to someone just starting.

turbo is out of the picture too many people have done it its a personal choice too.

price hmmm well not like 4k but im kinda flexible yet try to work efficiently.

i have some idea of prices for both but i would like to know what the experts think is reasonable and what parts they would suggest to someone just starting.

1.5g should get you all the parts for an m50b25 swap, its just doing the swap that will be the hard part.

Pretty sure brent (on the form) has or will have all the parts.

Turbos are so much more fun tho...

hahaha yeah its all about the dollars.

funny enough i study in dunedin what car do you have.

i have never work on a bmw before but i been researching for a long time and it seems like something doable and i have some mechanics in the family too help out but rather keep family away haha

how much do you think a swap would cost

I have an E30 which is getting an M52B28, and an E34 Touring.

E30's especially are the easiest BMW to work on period. if you have a good mechanical mind and google skills you can fix anything.

To be honest dude,

With limited mechanical knowledge I would be spending my money on the suspension and driveline. Make the thing handle, stop and corner well.

I first started with suspension on my e36 and what a difference that made, I gained knowledge and experience after that and then tackled the engine.

No point in trying to made the thing faster if it cant support it.

To be honest dude,

With limited mechanical knowledge I would be spending my money on the suspension and driveline. Make the thing handle, stop and corner well.

I first started with suspension on my e36 and what a difference that made, I gained knowledge and experience after that and then tackled the engine.

No point in trying to made the thing faster if it cant support it.

yeah tru dat im just in the research phase now saving up and will be doin everythin over two months. i have family full of mechanics but i kinda wanna do this one on my own

I have an E30 which is getting an M52B28, and an E34 Touring.

E30's especially are the easiest BMW to work on period. if you have a good mechanical mind and google skills you can fix anything.

reckon i could have a look at em sometimes haha been a while since i seen my baby be good to see another bm

i got an e30 with an m52b28 in it, and the thing goes like a little cut cat, diff ratios to long IMO but has enough torque to overcome that, its in peices for another round of upgrades at the moment but the m50/m52 engines are a great starting point for anything. i spent a bit more than 1.5g getting mine running but had different issues to get past than what an m50 has.

Once i had all the parts that i thought i needed for it, it only took 3 weeks till i went for my first drive with it, and that included a new medium case lsd diff install(replacing the small case it had), e36 rack conversion and waiting a few days for the exhaust shop to be avalible to 'move' the manifold away from my new rack setup.

and best of all, all parts i used for my engine conversion are bmw parts, just gotta get the right things and everything fit perfectly. no custom work was needed at all except for that exhaust tweak, which was so small it was free.

so i have moved away to study and my car was for sale. since it has not been sold and ill be coming back home soon im thinkin about starting some work on it. I have a fair idea on what im doing but any advice from a veteran would be good advice.

Im think about either to stroke the engine to 2.8 or get an sc14 supercharger!!!! need for speed haha

what is best in your opinion and what would be better dollars wise.

also if anyone has done either one of these before i would like to hear from you

thanks

stroking the m20 to 2.8 would be a good option, and the car retains its original look

talk to Anthony aka "Flake" he has just done one himself

got some kits here

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-518236526.htm

reckon i could have a look at em sometimes haha been a while since i seen my baby be good to see another bm

Probably, they are both very boring I assure you. the E30 is still absolutely stock because I haven't done a thing yet. though I have a lot of parts :S

Send me a PM.

stroking the m20 to 2.8 would be a good option, and the car retains its original look

talk to Anthony aka "Flake" he has just done one himself

got some kits here

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-518236526.htm

yeah i been looking at those parts online over and over again.

what other parts would i need and would there be a significant amount of HP increase

i got an e30 with an m52b28 in it, and the thing goes like a little cut cat, diff ratios to long IMO but has enough torque to overcome that, its in peices for another round of upgrades at the moment but the m50/m52 engines are a great starting point for anything. i spent a bit more than 1.5g getting mine running but had different issues to get past than what an m50 has.

Once i had all the parts that i thought i needed for it, it only took 3 weeks till i went for my first drive with it, and that included a new medium case lsd diff install(replacing the small case it had), e36 rack conversion and waiting a few days for the exhaust shop to be avalible to 'move' the manifold away from my new rack setup.

and best of all, all parts i used for my engine conversion are bmw parts, just gotta get the right things and everything fit perfectly. no custom work was needed at all except for that exhaust tweak, which was so small it was free.

really appreciate all your input man really motivating :)

whats the most basic of parts i will need? like a starting point

i was gonna do cosmetics but i dont see any point in having a pretty car that moves like a snail