Sign in to follow this  
darrin

2001 530i problem

Hi Guys

Been lurking around here for awhile reading heaps of good advice!!!

Current situation is I traded the trusty 328i in on a 2001 530i back in January....couple months later noticed the fuel consumption had gone up about on average 2l/100k and car would stall on the mrs when taking off from a roundabout or giveway.....never a problem at higher revs only when stopped or nearly stopped when taking off. Sometimes would do it once a week and other times 3 times per day.

I should also say car was a fresh import with only 63k on it (79k now)

I figured it was most probably the air flow sensor so order a brand new original part.......put it in a couple days back and hey presto....fuel consumption right down to 8.0 l/100k cruising. Thinking great ....have nailed the problem. Then today car stalls on the mrs another 3 times in town.

I had also ordered the bmw scanner v1.4 to play with so got it up and running tonight and this is what it tells me.

08 [008] Air Mass flow sensor signal, short circuit to negative or open circuit

5A [090] Exhaust temperature before catalyst bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative

5C [092 Exhaust temperature after catalyst bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative

5B [091] Exhaust temperature before catalyst bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

5D [093] Exhaust temperature after catalyst bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

85 [133] Signal, CAN ASC 3, timeout elapsed

Can anyone shed any light on what I'm looking for now before the mrs gets her way and I'm forced to go back to jappa's

I'm thinking it could be just a simple wiring problem somewhere affecting all these???

Edited by xport

Clear the codes & see what reappears.

Could well have a vacuum leak somewhere

Mass air flow meters are oftem miss diagnosed as the problem, usually due to operating outside their parameters. Same for 02 sensors.

Thanks....I should have said that. That was the re-scan

Measure the airflow from the maf / intake.. Should be around 600kg/min at full load / wot

It should be in the livedata section

Ok, I was looking at tat live data section lastnite too. I will try that when back home on Sunday. And my next thing to check was any perished tubes, pipes etc so Yip reading should point in the right direction. Starting to find my way around this p.a soft software.....very cool the amount of things around the car you can adjust to your liking.

So I take it, should be driving car while reading live data?

Edited by xport

So I take it, should be driving car while reading live data?

Yep, but watch where you are driving too...

Thanks Hotwire.....thats quite tricky really!! pinned back in the seat....one hand on the laptop to steady it...and trying to read those small numbers sky rocketing!.....But YES seen it go jus over 630kg/hr so could probably say no vaccum leaks at that aye?

Before I went for a drive I was playing with the live data at idle and rescanning etc and had 'inlet camshaft sensor fault' this was there the other day too but had 'currentley not present' Soooo maybe this could be the odd stalling problem. I've also reset the adaptions and been reading up that those 'exhaust temperature short circuit to negative' as per my first post are shadow codes....engineering codes or something and apperantley will show on all cars using this software so that is good news.

I'll order a inlet camshaft sensor tomorrow and then figure out where the hell it goes :rolleyes:

I installed new camshaft sensor a week ago and so far everything sweet....no more stopping. So looks like happy motoring again