Sign in to follow this  
bilbo

attempt 1 320i auto to zf manual, stumped!

Hello,

I have a 320i e36 1993 with a jatco auto and an m50b20 engine.

my jatco had had it so I brought a manual conversion on t/m and upon recieving it realised that it had a duel mass fly wheel which had 3-5mm verticle slop/free movement, and 1-2mm parallel play. it also had alot of play in the output shaft and clunks when moved either side.

I thought it must be quite worn, so I thought I would hold off and see if I could find another box to replace it with.

I did at the local wrecker, Got a zf in good order with solid flywheel and a good clutch to boot for just $300

Was told it would mate up no worrys, but...

I got it up, but only the main bolts line up, the box meets the dowells and matches the engine but the small bolt holes are about 3mm to the left of the engines bolt holes... Wt?

I don't get it, I have searched for hours online, using google. I have tryed all kinds of different frazes, words numbers relating to box, swaps relating to intended swap, but have been rewarded with alot of info on everything but what I need...

Gods Please let there be somone who has done this swap who wants to be freakin Orsome enough to help me out.

I really don't want to give in on this and go back to an auto, but am at the crossroads

please any help or advice, greatly recieved :)

Sounds like you may have a box off an M20 or different engine, the main engine bolts line up and really thats all you need. You dont need the smaller ones.

But double check that the gearbox is not sitting on a different angle - gearbox cross member wont fit and shifter will be slightly off.

Sounds like you may have a box off an M20 or different engine, the main engine bolts line up and really thats all you need. You dont need the smaller ones.

But double check that the gearbox is not sitting on a different angle - gearbox cross member wont fit and shifter will be slightly off.

Hi polley,

the box was removed from a 520i early 9ts

Have checked, and the engine meets the boxes shape exactly bar the small bolt holes.

so aside from the, missing bolts I should be ok to use it?

I have the drive shaft from a manual e36 that was ment to go in with the getrag I got, the zf appares

To measure the same as the 220 so im thinking I should be ok to use it too, aside from that I am not 100%

about tricking the ecu into thinking it is in nutral, untill I can reflash it. But thinking thats the least of my issues..

Do you know if I can use the jatcoes starter with the zf manual.

Sorry for all the questions, and honestly thanks for your help so far

sounds like a m20 gearbox , if the flywheel is from the same car then you will need a m20 starter motor to match the ring gear teeth.

easy enough to bypass the starter switch at the auto gearbox selector plug.

have seen a few of those getrag 220 with movement in teh input shaft , but they seam to be ok.

sounds like a m20 gearbox , if the flywheel is from the same car then you will need a m20 starter motor to match the ring gear teeth.

easy enough to bypass the starter switch at the auto gearbox selector plug.

have seen a few of those getrag 220 with movement in teh input shaft , but they seam to be ok.

Hi Brent,

Thanks for that info a real weight of my mind.

So yea thanks cause it Looks like I will be continuing on with the conversion afterall!

now just have to find that missing m20 starter for it, I am going to blank off the small bolt holes that dont line up with metal putty. that takes care of wof issues haha.

also happy to hear that my 220 might not be to shagged after all, might even sell it on as a going concern now :)

Cheers

the only other consern is the cross member/ drive shaft, the x member does seem to be close at this point but it hasent been bolted in yet, then there's the manual drive shaft, though I do think that will be all good..

will be attempting the completion of the job this weekend!

got pedal box to install, clutch lines, drive shaft, exhaust mani, not to much really...

thanks for helping me!

The holes should not be a WOF issue. I've never failed a WOF on it, and neither has anyone I know.

The holes should not be a WOF issue. I've never failed a WOF on it, and neither has anyone I know.

Thats good to know, thanks that saves me another task.. I thought vtnz would pick it up at check time as they usually find somthing like it.

Shame that they are the only wof shop open untill 5pm or id definatly be looking else where..

cheers polly

Well I didn't take my car to VTNZ, no doubt they will pick up on it and say something about it - wankers.

Chop the heads off some bolts and glue / metal putty them there if you think it might be an issue.

I doubt they'd even be able to see it to be fair. not very prominent when all the covers are on