Sign in to follow this  
schwarz88

year of manufacture

usernames aside, i'm 99% sure my 88 is prefacelift, but i want to know how I can be certain.

looking round the engine bay etc i can't find a plate which says built in... and the VIN code doesn't make sense against the online VIN checker at least when i tried it.

Ideas? It would just make life a whole lot easier when buying parts if i could be 100% sure of the model year. (oh yeah it's an 325i e30).

cheers

Guest Andrew

its pretty easy to tell if your motorsport is pre-face lift.

1 - BUMPERS - are either chrome or painted metal.

2- LIGHTS - at the rear are different. At the front also

3 - Various things under the bonnet

4 - Rear wheel arches

4- rear valance - front valance

Finally - get the last 7 digits of your chassis number and put it up here

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

HERE Is my pre-face lift car -

post-2-1122931037.jpg

Guest Andrew

and the VIN code doesn't make sense against the online

PM me your number plate number and i'll be able to decode the VIN if you can't find the number.

I dont knw if its the same for and e30 as for an e36, but for an e36 the VIN number plate is ment 2 b located on the right or the left when u open ur driver door, if you are kneeling down! and that would be your proper bmw vin number, with the year and month of production, but my car doesnt have this proper bmw vin number, it has a NZ LTSA vin number or smtin on the right fender in the engine bay!!

does ur vin number change when the car gets imported into new zealand? i emailed ltsa nd they said they cant say anything unless they see the vehicle!

the way i know its not a proper bmw one is that it doesnt work on any of those online bmw vin decoder things!

wht u guys think!?

thnx

A car dealer I know picked the model year from a serial number in the built in tool kit in the bootlid, can't have been hard to decipher, took him about 3 seconds.

Ther VIN number in the E36 are in the bonnet area ... Open the bonnet and look closely to just below the windscreen .. close to the windscreen wipers ...

It's semi hidden, but look carefully it's there ....

Yes, ur correct - I used to be able to see mine at the bottom right (driver's side) of the windscreen even with the bonnet closed.

If you've got the BMW ETK then you can enter the VIN into it and it'll give the date of manufacture.

You can't trust the "year car first registered" as cars can sit for a while before they're sold, particularly the SA cars.