Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

WOF Laws

The kilometres idea id agree with to a point, i would be lucky to travel 5,000kms in my own cars in a year. Insurance is the same. but the trouble is that

1/ on all new cars the odo is digital and turns off when the key is out the ignition. hell, ost of my E34s have had dead LCDs too. very hard to police that when parked up at shopping centers etc which is when the majority of no WOF infringments are given.

2/ in a car crash, you cant rely on the electrics to always work, so again, how do you proove if the car is road worthy.

in any case, if i have a car sitting in my drive that doesn't get used at all, the tyres and shocks and springs are still deteriorating, 6 months is good.

keep the current system.

I would like to see milage insurance though, insurance risk is DIRECTLY related to the distance traveled. if a company did that i would definately change to them. obviously this is beyond the scope of this argument though

Sorry guys but a mileage based WOF system just wouldn't work, there's no real way of policing it, & there will be people out there with older cars that will wind the clock back & secondly, safety items on a car can be subject to deterioration over time, not so much mileage.