Sign in to follow this  
kruisn

OMG What now. 318 Getting OLD

We have a 1990 318 saloon as little brother to our Z3 3.00. It gets all the small trips to the supermarket, work, visiting and any other trips that are not a good place to park the Z. My lady loves it and has owned it for about 13 years she feels at ease and comfortable when driving it. Over the last couple of years it has developed a whine in the diff and just lately a quite loud clicking or loud ticking from the motor. I presume it is the valve lifters (I have heard they can be a prob at higher K’s. (it has done just over 100,000K's).

Problem is what to do?????

Are there any remedies you BMW lovers could suggest and is it worth spending dosh on??.

I would like some feed back and would appreciate advice or ideas on how to overcome the problem.

Happy Motoring

Bryan.

if the ticking you are hearing is defiantly the lifters (it probably is) then i just remedied mine by using a quality oil additive. Got onto the supplier of the product and talked to an older chap that really knew what he was talking about. PM me if you want more details etc. This wont cure the problem but it will hide the noise.

EDIT: Mine is also a 318i 1990.

Edited by Scott-e30

could be the oiler bar that lubes the cams has become blocked, quite a common SOHC issue, im not sure if the M40 is exempt or not. My 316i does the same thing

diff will need replacing , easy enough to swap it out for another

ticking noise can also be worn camshaft , quite comon on the m40 engines.

not too bad to do on these engines.

best to get it checked by a bmw expert