Sign in to follow this  
328FTW

320i gearbox on 325i e30

So I landed up buying an e30 cheap. I've been offered a cheap gearbox, does a 320i manual fit on a 325? I'm unsure of the differences of the getrag boxes like the 240 vs the 260. They bolt up the same with the same flywheel and driveshaft (I know the manual and auto driveshaft is different but the 260 and 240?)

Oh would help if I put model, e30 1988 or something. I also don't know how thin on the ground e30 manual driveshafts etc are, if I find his "kit" is incomplete even if it's cheap is it worth bothering or will I never find the odd bits to make it complete at a price that makes it viable vs buying a known complete kit?

Didn't really fit in any of the tech sections properly, move if appropriate. Ta

Edited by 328FTW

you can get a driveshaft modified , balanced etc for about $300+

i have getrag 240 gearbox with shifter parts from a early e30 320i if you need one.

you can get a driveshaft modified , balanced etc for about $300+

i have getrag 240 gearbox with shifter parts from a early e30 320i if you need one.

See that's the thing, I dunno if the 240 and 260 shafts are different or if I should bother piecing together stuff or just outright find a complete kit. Turns out this one is a getrag 260 I believe so that's good. Other than that I just need the pedal box and stuff but I'll find out from him.

EDIT: I realise you can modify shafts, I've built them myself before but I'd rather not do that

Edited by 328FTW

you could try some of the larger BMW wreckers in NZ if they have the missing parts, they are all forum sponsors here, but if they dont have it or are unwilling to split then you're a bit stuck.

but put it this way, i dont think id ever buy an incomplete kit.

edit: typo

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

you could try some of the larger BMW wreckers in NZ if they have the missing parts, they are all forum sponsors here, but if they dont have it or are unwilling to split then you're a bit stuck.

but put it this way, i dont think id ever buy an incomplete kit.

edit: typo

All stuff I've mulled over myself. I'm just unfamiliar with how easy parts are to get in this new world. The only other euro I've had decent experience with is my dad's 560SEC merc. Looks the tits and goes like hell but when it breaks run away, run fast and run far.

I've got other pressing issues though like the blown headgasket. Depending on how bad the motor is when I start measuring bores and checking clearances I either redo the motor or buy another. But if I'm buying another a wrecked car might be best or cutting a deal with someone for a box, engine combo. Really to be found out later down the line. Just trying to familiarise myself with the diffs, boxes, shafts and whatnot I might need. Google can be a bit vague on some of the finer details.