Sign in to follow this  
BMW POWER

South African Imports

I get around around 9 or 10L/100 around town and around 7L/100km on the open road, Can't tell you how much a full tank cost as I never fill it up.

Clutches the pressure plate and disc etc are fine, AFAIK mine is still original after 250'000km. Hydraulice problems are quite common though. Easily fixed though, around $100 for a new master cylinder or $50 IIRC for the slave.

Cambelts, early 318i have a chain so it doens't need replaceing, Not sure about the M40 whether its chain or belt. As e30stz said its not worth worrying about.

Definatly buy the workshop manual and you don't need the reset tool. Just use a wire and short to points on the plug. Easy.

You can do most things yourself. I'm 19 and just taught myself and my car hasn't been to a garage or workshop in the 2 years I've owned it. Have had a bit of help from a few people on this site.

Edited by petone

Cheers Mike & Andy.

Will speak further with the parents, although i don't think they like the idea of getting a car you haven't seen. To be honest neither do I.

Have been calculating transport costs.

Option 1:

$213 Dun- Wellie flight.

$149 For car over the Strait + $49 for 1 Adult = $198

$60 petrol.

Picton to Dunedin = 698 KM. Economy at approx. 100KM/7l.

698 KM divided by 7 = 48.85 litres. Round up to 50 litres. Say 96 is at $1.15.

That equals $55.00, but then round it up to $60 because thats more realistic.

Stay with Uncle Michael in Christchurch as the halfway point = Free accomodation.

Total = $481.

Option 2

$91 airfare Dun to Christchurch

$37 Train CHCH to Picton

$149 for car over ferry (WGTN to PICTON) Carl said before someone could put the car on the ferry. This is not saying anyone is.. just working out transport cost.

$60 petrol. Stay with Uncle in CHCH = Free

= $337 total.

God, that is ALOT of shagging around. May as well forget it. :(

Was that 98 though? 

Yes that was 98, however that was before the last round of petrol price rises & I was paying $1.429 / L.

Even regular 91 petrol is $1.40 now.

In terms of 'shagging around' turn it into a mini-holiday. Fly up to Welly, stay with a friend & see the sights before your trip back to the Mainland.

The k's will fly by if you're driving your own car for the first time.

why not fly up for the day - drive the car - give it to the transport company, they will put it on the ferry and then they'll chuck it on a train when it goes over there maybe.. i dunno if thats how it works but yeah.

thats similar to what i did Emma I flew up to AK one night ,bought the ar virtually unseen tho Brent had checked it out and I got Mcmillans to do a pre purchase check for about $135 its quite thorough.I am sure all the welly guys will be happy to help out.I am not 100 percent sure if you can have a car that is "unacompanied " on the ferry.Its not much shagging about if you get the car you want........Owning ANY car is relatively expensive.They all need tyres petrol oil registation insurance,and parts.....

Yeah I have decided not to buy it. I am going to get my learners in my Dads Toyota Camry wagon, manual. Then when i get my restricted i will buy a car. I will keep an eye out for good E30's still.

Thanks for all the input guys, and sorry for wasting your time. I will remember all this stuff, and will try find an E30 manual when the Restricted rolls around.

Thanks again,

Emma.

Edited by BMW POWER