Sign in to follow this  
BMW POWER

South African Imports

I have seen a South African import 1991 E30 318i 5 Speed on Trademe, and i was wondering about what they are like compared to NZ new and Jap import in terms of reliability, fixes etc. This one seems to be a good price, and in good condition

Trademe link here Are those seats leather or vinyl?

I know they're all made to BMW standards no matter what the country, but like the environment can damage them, like in Japan the rubber trim gets eroded etc.

Also, I think some E30's were built in S.A weren't they?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In this picture it also looks unnaturally high, even for stock. Is it just my eyes, or the time of day it was taken or is it really high?

Emma

Posted Image

Edited by BMW POWER

My 320i came with uprated suspension componants (325i spec) Long range fuel tank, Cruise control, heated seats, and thats all I can immediately think of.

The springs in the car are black with mtechnic stripes, and it does seem to sit higher than my old 318i at factory height.

Seem like good cars to get, basically fully optioned - Odds are it didn't spend much of it's life in SA anyway.

looks decent, is manual, has nice lil 14's. those seats are vinyl.

my old car was SA import...they generally seem pretty good, as they didnt salt the roads like UK, and not as humid as singapore. get someone in wellies to go have a look for you if you genuinely keen, looks like a good first e30

my old car was SA import...they generally seem pretty good, as they didnt salt the roads like UK, and not as humid as singapore. get someone in wellies to go have a look for you if you genuinely keen, looks like a good first e30

Cheers guys

Will discuss with the olds about this first, and then if i am genuinely keen i will pay a fellow Bimmersportian to do a critical check and test drive.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to get to Dunedin? I mean theres always the flight up to WGTN at around $140, then across the straight at $190, then petrol at about $70.. = $400 to get here.

Sorry about all the questions, but i know this is a E30 majoring forum, what are parts costs, servicing, any problems at this amount of kays (168,000) and what would this be like on petrol?

Parts are cheap, and they are simple cars so servicing shouldn't be a problem, just DIY it.

318i is an ideal first car, thats what I got when I was 15. Slow as sh*t, but I'd kill for the gas consumption again, my best was 6.6l/100km, which is better than Toyotas claim for the Echo.

Guest Andrew

Cheers guys

Will discuss with the olds about this first, and then if i am genuinely keen i will pay a fellow Bimmersportian to do a critical check and test drive.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to get to Dunedin? I mean theres always the flight up to WGTN at around $140, then across the straight at $190, then petrol at about $70.. = $400 to get here.

Sorry about all the questions, but i know this is a E30 majoring forum, what are parts costs, servicing, any problems at this amount of kays (168,000) and what would this be like on petrol?

around 170 to car a car transporter to take a car from aucks to welly

Would be a good car.. SA cars are 4x4s.. Use very little gas.

Parts are cheap, and they are simple cars so servicing shouldn't be a problem, just DIY it.

318i is an ideal first car, thats what I got when I was 15. Slow as sh*t, but I'd kill for the gas consumption again, my best was 6.6l/100km, which is better than Toyotas claim for the Echo.

Yip, what he said, be an ideal first car. Should be nothing major wrong at those km's. If anything most the the stuff that was going to go wrong has already gone wrong. They are pretty simple cars and theres loads of parts everywhere. I reckon biggest worry would be rust. It does seem a little expensive though.

Andy- she's in dunners, cook straight will be the killer on transporting it.

Edited by petone

hell id kill for 318 5spd with the gas prices today...going through $100 a week isnt cool

emma you seem keen to learn sh*t.....everything e30 can be done yourself (just need a little common sense, patience and peserverance, but thats how you learn to do sh*t...just unbolt and try get it back together) plus you got all us useful bastards to help you out.

hell id kill for 318 5spd with the gas prices today...going through $100 a week isnt cool

emma you seem keen to learn sh*t.....everything e30 can be done yourself (just need a little common sense, patience and peserverance, but thats how you learn to do sh*t...just unbolt and try get it back together) plus you got all us useful bastards to help you out.

Yeah, i'm keen to learn, going to be a Tech when i finish High school. I will be getting my licence soon, so yeah casually looking for cars now.

Thanks for all the help, its great.

With regards to being expensive, someone offered him $3700 and he said ring me up and we will discuss, but obviously nothing has come from that. Transport could be a bargaining tool i reckon, like when i get more serious (the olds talk lol) i could offer him $3700 or 3.8

S.A imports being 4WD, as in 318iX, two diffs?

Another question, will insurance kill me? (3rd party, fire & theft just the basics not under my parents name)

What kinda petrol do 318's like?

Nah, 4x4 as in ride height :lol:

I'd take a pic of mine, but when the steering arm is pulling the wheel after the previous owner got sideways it doesn't give a very realistic view on how high it is. :angry:

Only ran mine on 96

Insurance should be fine - hardly considered desireable to be stolen.

Edited by Surge

Stick it under your parents name (so it will be their car technically) and say that you will be the main driver. Thats what I have done for the 525i and 560SEC and I'm only paying $25 a week, and I'm 17. My mum shares the driving with me so theres no bullshit going on.

I don't even think I would get insurance on both of them if they were in my name.

The BMW is $7/week, the Merc $18 :mosh:

Great, will take to the parents about this one in the weekend. I wont bank on anything happening, but it could just happen....

Thanks for all the help, its great. That info could lead to me buying it :)

If you end up buying it let me know as I might be able to get you a discounted rate for transport thru my car yard - we're always shipping cars around the country.

And it looks like its in Seatoun so if you want someone to have a look at it Im over that way each weekend

Edited by NHCTIB

You can always get someone to drive it onto the ferry and meet you at the other end and you can come up by train. I took the train once, was boring though, so got blindingly drunk.

Thanks for all the offers guys, its been great. I will discuss it all with my parents this weekend, and get back on the results.

Thanks again,

Emma.

Isn't tit great that you can ask your interdweebs for some pound advice?

Hope your folks agree, as Mike said it'd be a really good first car and there's so much that you can do with them so you can get a lot of exp. mechanical-wise compared to a newer model jappa.

Post whore :P

the good thing about SA imports is that they're the manual ones, mine is a SA import nd rust is gay btw!!! if it has even a little rust do not buy it! e36's arent too bad to work on, just need the tools which i dont really have, but im guessing its the same for the e30's too! do e30's use 96 as well?

i think it'd be a good 1st car too, i was goin 4 an e30 but dad decided that they're too old so helped me get an e36, my insurance is trough him and both of us are set as drivers, $65 per month for full insurance! nd im 18!

shouldnt be too expensive for u :)

good luck

Would the 318 come with the long range fuel tank and the sump guard?

Useful for running down some scarfies down there then scarping it

Insurance can be a problem, Often I can't even get past saying its a BMW and I'm 18 before they have refused cover. Then when I say its had some modifications done its all over. It helps I have had insurance for a few years now though. I would either put it in your parents name or try the same insurance company that they use but in your name. The problem with using your parents name is that its harder a few years down the track to get cover in your name. AMI, NAC or your olds company would be your best bet.

Edited by petone

My parents are with AMI, i may enquire about insurance actually. If not for this car, for one in the future, just so i get a general idea.

Oh yeah, more questions. Sorry, its just you guys are such a great help.

How much does it cost to fill up a 318 tank? Is it reasonable, i'm just really concious about gas.

Also what kinda things could i do myself (and Dad)? I wouldn't be able to count it for a service would I because i would need a service reset tool and possibly E30 w/shop manual.

Edit: Sorry, another thing. The clutch. Do these wear down easily? Do they need any extra car in comparison to a Jap car?

One more thing, cambelts how are they, in comparison to a Jap car are they darer?

Edited by BMW POWER

The South African cars have funny accents!

Good luck with the acquisition. I used to rail my cars down to CHC. I'm sure you could do the same to DUN.

I spent $80 filling my tank this week.

Not sure of any tank sizing differences between E30 & E46.

Was that 98 though?

One more thing, cambelts how are they, in comparison to a Jap car are they darer?

cmon Emma a cambelt is something you do once every 50,000 km's ... why would it matter if its $50 more ?

You can do lotsa things to your car that will save you having to get them done at the shop. But the only thing you'll really save on is labour.

Oil change

Washer fluids

Changing wipers (woot .. go me... big step)

if you get me a fax number ill send down my latest invoice to give you an idea of what a basic service cost me.

my cars about $60 to fill up with petrol at the moment. So I assume a 318 is around $50 ? 318 is gonna be more economical because its smaller engine and is in manual.

Edited by E30stz