Sign in to follow this  
explisick

E39 Touring Front Strut Replacement

Hey peeps,

I searched high and low and im beginning to think that this is all personal preference!

I am in need of new struts on my e39 99 Touring Im already running H&R springs up front and will source some adjustable links for the rear end being SLS...On that note can anyone suggest where to get these links from or would it be easier to make my own?

Back to the topic of struts...Im looking at either Koni or Bilstein, im doing this for handling and overall a good amount of drop in the front, the rear can match how low i go, not wanting chopped springs or adjustables and i dont mind how she rides as my WRX had adjustables and that was fine.... My thought process was to shorten the internals of the struts by doing this will i run into any problems? Tyre rubbing on the bottom of the strut? Does anyone know the length of the standard internals..?

Thanks for your help, just trying to get my head around this! Ultimately adjustables will be the best option but im using what i have at current then i will look at adjustables later on....How much are certs these days?

You can adjust the rear suspension height in the software, using INPA (and maybe BMW Scanner 1.4.0 - not sure)

You can adjust the rear suspension height in the software, using INPA (and maybe BMW Scanner 1.4.0 - not sure)

sorry please expand? i'd like to lower the rear of mine 20mm... is this possible?

sorry please expand? i'd like to lower the rear of mine 20mm... is this possible?

You can lower the rear if you are SLS, my Touring is SLS and you can either get Rear Adjustable Links (Adjustable Links DIY) or you can have Jeff Grays lower it using MODIC software....(MODIC Software FYI)

The first link is a DIY to adjust your current links but later in that post a member has shown the adjustable links you can purchase from overseas. I think using the adjustable links is the way to go though :) I have no idea where to get these is NZ??!!

Edited by explisick

You can lower the rear if you are SLS, my Touring is SLS and you can either get Rear Adjustable Links (Adjustable Links DIY) or you can have Jeff Grays lower it using MODIC software....(MODIC Software FYI)

The first link is a DIY to adjust your current links but later in that post a member has shown the adjustable links you can purchase from overseas. I think using the adjustable links is the way to go though :) I have no idea where to get these is NZ??!!

does this apply to sedans? or wagon's only?

Edited by M5V8

does this apply to sedans? or wagon's only?

SLS self leveling (airbags) suspension. Wagons only I believe.

SLS self leveling (airbags) suspension. Wagons only I believe.

One would assume both but i can only go on that - an assumption.... Does anyone know where you can get these links from. Both Sedan and Wagon must use the same SLS setup? I own a touring so my research has been bias