Sign in to follow this  
miskimmin

What exaust

First of all I want to say that i know little about cars so be paitence with me.

I recently bought a 85 318i. My uncle said owns a metal construction firm and he said that he make me an exhaust and put it on. Im wanting to get a dump pipe becaue I think they look good but I also want to up the sound produced from it. I was wounderin if he would have to make me a muffler and that or if I should get piping straight through, im realy not sure.

I dont want a 'Look at me car'. I want it to be a louder but not real loud.

Any help and advice would be appreacated.

Cheers

:) welcome to the BMW family and bimmersport.

Get a dtm style tipped exhaust,

Edited by E30stz

Firstly, proof read your posts

Secondly, if you have a catalytic converter get that replaced with a resonator such as a coby and that will fulfil all your demands.

As for manufacturing your on exhaust, i'll assume that all your uncle can do is get some piping and weld things together. That's all fine and dandy but a straight through pipe will be too loud and you'll fail the new exhaust testing that's about to come into effect.

You could possibly get away with one decent muffler or two resonators of different lengths but not straight through piping.

If your uncle wants to partake then he can weld it all up for you but it's really not that expensive to go into a muffler shop and get them to do the work. I had a cat cut out and replaced with two coby's (the 6 cyl's have twin piping so one on each pipe). All up it was $220.

Cheers

I'd get him to make you a sexy set of headers.

:thumb:

:) welcome to the BMW family and bimmersport.

Get a dtm style tipped exhaust,

Hey,

I owned a 518i.... I'm guessing it had the same engine as the 318i... i dont know wasnt much into it then.... But I had my exhaust worked over and did everything above:

replaced the cat with a nice short resonater and put a Rage DTM square tip muffler on it. Was the nicest sound I hear a n/a car make...

When I took it for warrant the grumpy old man from accross the street told me it was too loud and it sounded like a race car... so we chopped off the muffler and put a big fat standard one on it.

Anyway... replace the cat with a resonater and also why don't you think about a pod filter... would make it sound a bit throatier wouldn't it? I definately reckon go with the DTM style muffler tho

post-2-1123506469.jpg