Sign in to follow this  
Chrismx5

1989 316I E30 Clutch.

Hey all, weird question..

I first picked up the beemer about 2 weeks ago, and the clutch had about 4 - 5 inches before it engaged, weird, but fine.

Then today, it has about 5mm of travel, the clutch isn't slipping... What could it be? :/

The clutch is hydraulic so has a master and slave cylinder and a fluid reservoir, check it has enough fluid and make sure the master (found behind the clutch pedal) and the slave, which is on the side of the gearbox are not leaking any fluid which would cause it to lose pressure..

If they aren't leaking then could be the seals inside the slave or the master.

The clutch is hydraulic so has a master and slave cylinder and a fluid reservoir, check it has enough fluid and make sure the master (found behind the clutch pedal) and the slave, which is on the side of the gearbox are not leaking any fluid which would cause it to lose pressure..

If they aren't leaking then could be the seals inside the slave or the master.

Awesome! That was my initial thought, but wasn't sure if the e30 had a cable clutch or not

Slave cylinder will be leaking then, sits on the side of the gearbox (usually passenger side).