Sign in to follow this  
tmase

E39 Wheel Alignment

A few months ago I had a new set of rear tyres fitted and a wheel alignment completed. About 3000 kilometres later a had a service and it was noted that the inside shoulders of the front wheels were getting very worn and that it should have a wheel alignment. Thinking this was a bit odd, as the front tyres were wearing evenly when I had the rear ones changed I dug up the alignment sheet. It looks like the tyre place has entered my car into the system as an 8 cylinder (535i/540i) rather than the 6 cylinder (530i) that it actually is.

Posted Image

I am wondering that since the steering is different between 6 and 8 cylinder E39s (rack and pinion vs. recirculating ball) that the wheel geometry may vary as well. As you can see there was really very little adjustment required for the wheel alignment though I thought the alignment would be out as the roads in Christchurch are pretty rough at the moment.

Is it possible that the alignment was not done correctly (8 cyl. vs 6cyl) and that this could have contributed to the uneven tyre wear or is it unrelated?

I keep a reasonably close eye on my tyre pressures and the front tyres are Goodyear Eagle F1s.

I think the tierods are front side on the 6's and rear side on the 8's, and the parts are quite different - so it could very well contribute to the wear you have.

If it was only 3000 kms ago, I'd go back and mention it, and say it's done on the wrong car type.

(actually, I help with my alignments, so it would be my fault if it was wrong :D )

Cheers Alan

I think I'll take it back to the same place and see what they say about it. But regardless I'll have to get another alignment if I am going to save the tyres, probably still got 4-5 mm worth of tread.

Cheers Ron. Car is factory standard, but does have M Sport Suspension II from the factory. I am not sure but this could be a lower ride height than the standard.

Cool, I'll have a look tomorrow.

Cool, I'll have a look tomorrow.

I didn't know there was a pic above - they are blocked at work!

there are slight differences for sport and non sport too - mostly camber I think??? I think it's different because they are lower, but I think camber isn't adjustable on the front, it's set by the bushes - maybe one is poked?

I had my mechanic take a look at the front suspension while it was up on the hoist as I was worried about the thrust arm bushes wearing but he reckoned they were okay. Sounds like I might have to take to a place that really knows what they are doing. Like the bulk of customers I don't know a whole heap about this sort of thing but I would expect the people doing the job to. You get what you pay for it seems!