Sign in to follow this  
matt.lakin

Okay first BMW first Post and sh*t i may need help!

Rightyo! as everyone who doesn't and wont own a BMW told me before I brought my 520i 2000 model, they all said that Don't buy a BMW they cost a fortune to fix, sod that I like a challenge and mostly go against the grain and still manage to finish first!

So here's the issue, I noticed that my door lock on the drivers side took alot longer to go down into the door card as I used my key to lock the door, low and behold this was my first 'lock myself out situation'

I had to call the RAC out to get me back into my car, I have since had irregularities as to when the doors will lock and the central locking will or wont work.

I went to wash world and gave by beauty a good wash, well This may have caused some problems as my car windows are intermittent as to weather they want to work via my drivers side main window switch panel or weather they work on the actual door of the window in question that I want to operate.

Okay one other thing my car has an automatic reversing mirror so on the passenger side of the car when I put it into reverse the wing mirror drops down so i can see if I'm a good parker, obviously, or not! the mirror I cannot change its viewing with the mirror angle changer in my drivers side switch panel nor will it drop down to tell me how brilliant my parking is...

So there you go I have intermittent door locks in the front and intermittent window operation and also mirror opperation

Hi mate, welcome =)

I had all sorts of little issues like this with my E39, intermittent door locks, windows didn't work on auto, memory functions didn't work. The wiring loom in the drivers door had just worn away apparently, where it goes into the door, so was making contact intermittently. HELLBM replaced that for me while they had the car and problem was solved, easy enough to do yourself though if handy with DIY. But have a look at that first as may (or may not) be the issue. Hope it helps anyways.

All cars have there ups and downs, not just BMW's. its amazing how many people have that "don't touch a BMW" mentality, when really, they aint that bad. Got to love the E39 though =D

Haha - lots of people say that about parts and costs etc, then have to buy parts that cost even MORE for their toyota, but believe that a BMW part is more based on a stor they heard once. Some parts are expensive. Some really aren't!

A lot of "faults" are also from poor maintainance, or poor repairs.

An E39 with HEAPS of safety features and gizmos etc SHOULD break more than a corolla with one airbag and manual windows. The E39 is complex, which is why it handles so well and rides so well at the same time (when well maintained anyway). The corolla is going to handle like a 3 legged goat forever (mine did from new, and it was the same year as my E39!).

Dad used to have fords holdens and toyotas - not interested now, he's had his BMW for 14 years - the same one!

Regarding the door lock, did you know this (LHD shown):

Posted Image

If you mechanically turn the lock until the key is flat it should unlock the door mechanically - probably all that needed doing.

Door lock actuators have been known to crap out, but sometimes the mechanism just need a good clean and very light lube (probably more likely a actuator though!)

I've heard the locks are not designed to be used manually all the time - they seem to crap out faster. Dunno if it's true though. If the remote doesn't always work, try to re-sync it - google it for your key type - although I'm not sure if that even works for the Jap import type - If your car is a Jap import, it will have an IR remote instead of RF, and will only work from about 2 metres away half the time anyway, I hear.

ALSO, if you have convenience opening and closing enabled you can press the button to unlock, then press and hold it for ages and all the windows (and sunroof) will open up. You can also use the first position of the door lock to do it, and the same idea works with the locking button to close everything B)

Regarding the mirrors, they can have a hard time - they get hit and repaired dodgily and may not work right, or you could have a switch fault - if the door gets wet while it's open, or the window is left down, water can creep into the switches and cause all sorts of problems, because they are flatt, they can soak up a fair bit of water if they stay wet a while! Obviously this can affect the windows AND mirrors as they are all the same switch.

Also, as said in previous post above, the wiring can break in the door or pillar where it moves all the time, or if it's been accident repaired (even minor) the wiring or door jamb connector could be iffy too - especially if clips were broken and not replaced.

Also, be aware that the auto tilting mirror in reverse ONLY works with the side selector switch in the passenger position (or is it drivers? I always leave it off anyway)

OK, that's my words used up for the day.