Sign in to follow this  
rolls_on_19

e36 diff. And BMW diffs in general

Can someone clarify the compatability of diffs throught the 3 series. I have 318 manual with a 3.45 ratio. I'm after better acceleration. Putting 19's on has really made it slow to get off it's arse. Wot's the difference between e30 318 diffs and e36 318 diffs. Also what are the small and medium casings i keep hearing about?

19's on a 318, priceless.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Find a 4.45 from a Auto 318!!

hahah

"boohoo i put big heavy wheels on and they made me slower"..

Go with the abocve, or get something more driving focussed, like 17's...or 18s..(max).

Just waiting for the 'potholes killed my rims' thread now..

I intentionally bought 19's and knew that it would obviously affect acceleration and handling. It's not like I put them on and was disappointed with the out-come. I'm just looking for an alteration that will give me what i'm after. I want a BMW with 19's that isn't being blown by little tecs. Not a hard ask is it? Even for a 318. Wouldn't the 4.45 diff cause a massive change in pick-up and top speed? Apparently they make 1st gear totally unneccessary.

Gidday Mate firstly each to their own on the wheels, if you like them then sweet as thats all that matters,

Diffs you can fit the diff from Z3's to an e30 I think, e36 is all a different mounting system so a no go, small and medium case if I am correct is actually small and large for an e30 as the large actually relates to a 535 and will not fit an e30 anyway, the small is what you would find on 316/318 and some 320's med or large on 325 they all fit any e30 however just a simple adjustment to the prop shaft is required. I am running a 3.64 in the m50 with about 230 bhp and I am looking at changeing for more acceleration so you must be really struggling, I beleive that most 318is' came out with 4.10 ratios and 325i sports had 3.91's these ratios were used for a reason (performance) your current ratio would be great on fuel consumption and potentially have a higher top speed (if you could get anything out of the engine) but will suffer poorer acceleration. You will never beat a vtec with a change of diff alone they are pretty good engines and a wole lot newer technology goes into them, but you are gauranteed to pull more chicks in the beemer. :thumb:

Best bet a 4.10 LSD (good luck though)

Buggar just noticed that you have a e36 any e36 diff will bolt up I have a 3.64 in the 323 coupe and accelaration is ok ,auto though. do you have a M42 engine??

Twin cam?? forget most of what I said in the eariler post accept the bit about pulling chicks.

Yeah i've got an m42. Are you sating that these may stand a chance against a tec? I've kept up with 1800 integras but that's a rolling start. Standing start i just get blown. My cars a manual and i read the tag on the diff and it's a 3.45 open.

I'd be hesitant about putting a 325i up against a Vtec. We had a Pulsar Gti and it slaughtered an E36 325i (auto admittedley, with Schnitzer badges all over it) off the line. The guys face was a picture, no one here I hope. Vtecs are light, big horsepower, although a 318is is a nice car, if Vtecs are your target, you're gonna miss.

Yep as above the vtec is a great engine and although the m42 is a goodun they are made for different things and different markets, , I would however chance a manual 325 against a tec maybe not a s2000 :P

If it is off the line stuff you want then a diffs a good place to start, but you will never be real fast. Just put in a lsd and steer with the rear as you give the honda boys a wave out the window.

An Integra is 2-300kg lighter than an E36, VtiR pumps out 121(?)kw and a Type R 141. Even with a manual, I think you'd be toast. Might be different with an M50 powered E30 though, as they are also about 200kg lighter. . . . .

don't forget the BMW would have heaps more torque though, both peak and throughout the rev range. Still think the teg would win, but not by much

we are talking about a 318 here people, i didnt realise power and torque were in its vocabulary

and as for steering from the rear...on heavy 19's with a 1.8? hmmm

dude you obviously got the car for cruising/pimping, if you wanted a quick car you would have got something else so why give a toss weather a teg can beat your ass? does it really matter on a public road?

vtec preludes are quick...just ask andy, the high as redline is a killer esp when they still in 3rd for another 3000rpm when you change to 4th

Nah they aren't that quick, same as a 325i. Like I said in the my other post, sure they have good power above 5000rpm but nothing below that. I've driven both and liked the M20 2.5 way more for the street. H22A is good when its in Vtec but unless your on the track difficult to keep it in Vtec bimmer has the advantage on the launch as well.

Andy's car should easily beat a stock prelude.

Dunno what you on about with the gearing you reckon they have, they only rev to 7200 or something and have shorter gearing than my car. My mates prelude and my 318 have the same top speed in each gear, only his gets there way faster than i do. (i'm running 3.91 diff btw)

Edited by petone

Guest Andrew

Nah they aren't that quick, same as a 325i. Like I said in the my other post, sure they have good power above 5000rpm but nothing below that. I've driven both and liked the M20 2.5 way more for the street. H22A is good when its in Vtec but unless your on the track difficult to keep it in Vtec bimmer has the advantage on the launch as well.

Andy's car should easily beat a stock prelude.

Dunno what you on about with the gearing you reckon they have, they only rev to 7200 or something and have shorter gearing than my car. My mates prelude and my 318 have the same top speed in each gear, only his gets there way faster than i do. (i'm running 3.91 diff btw)

We were running at about 100 - i left it for dead through third to 150ish - I changed to 4th it was still in 3rd and pwned past - we could hear the Vt@k yo - i would of caught it again when he hit 4th. But it was quicker than a stock one - i've owned stock ones before. This didn't sound stock - the intake noise was insane.

I did have a 318 badge on - so all you 318 boys got a good name hah.

Good call guys. Stick to looking good. I think a'll just invest the money in a nice paint job and fixing the dents from when I rolled my guards with a baseball bat and flared them with pliers. And before any of you ask whether i have cut springs, no i don't. Did compress my old standards with a gas torch though