Sign in to follow this  
stlpmp

E36 320 auto wont change gears Need Help

Ok just done an engie swap now the gearbox pretty mich just stays in 4th i think it goes reverse algood but put in any other gear an the car feels like its in top gear. Dont have any clue about these

It will be in limp mode (3rd gear) You'll need to get it scanned first. What type of swap have you done ??

It will be in limp mode (3rd gear) You'll need to get it scanned first. What type of swap have you done ??

Damn i put whole engine and box into this car and the computers thats about it plus from 93 320 into 96 323i msport

How do i get it scanned im in greytown wairarapa an closest bmw place is wellington shud i try limp mode it to welly maybe

Would the fact that i havent put all the piping on yet make it go into limp mode as i only tried it to see if it went properly before i put it all together properly

Would the fact that i havent put all the piping on yet make it go into limp mode as i only tried it to see if it went properly before i put it all together properly

Possibly... especially if it's vacuum piping . Youv'e also gone backwards with your swap choice. ABS, DME & EGS may have communication issues as well

Possibly... especially if it's vacuum piping . Youv'e also gone backwards with your swap choice. ABS, DME & EGS may have communication issues as well

Yup i know the 2.5 was better it came without the engine thats why i done it an got everything for 250 with limp mode is that why the cog symbol is showing up on the dash? Ill also put what piping ive got here on i think only vacumn hose i dont have is the one at top of engine block that goes to the air intake is that very important?

Once it is in limp mode you won't get it out without a scanner. There may also be others issues which you will also pick up with the scanner. All hoses, plugs & connectors are important.

Once it is in limp mode you won't get it out without a scanner. There may also be others issues which you will also pick up with the scanner. All hoses, plugs & connectors are important.

Ok are those the scanners that are on trademe? Or do i have to go to bmw or is there some way i can hook up a laptop to it with some sort of program thanks for your help :)

many cheap scanners will show you whats wrong but only some better ones actually let you reset stuff.

best to get it to welly but i would trailer it if possible as they dont like limp mode too much and a trailer is cheaper than a gearbox

also triple check everything is finished before you get it scanned you dont want to be using paid time on someones lift plugging stupid things back in that you missed.

many cheap scanners will show you whats wrong but only some better ones actually let you reset stuff.

best to get it to welly but i would trailer it if possible as they dont like limp mode too much and a trailer is cheaper than a gearbox

also triple check everything is finished before you get it scanned you dont want to be using paid time on someones lift plugging stupid things back in that you missed.

Thanks what if i throw a manual in it iv got one sittin here will that take it out of limp mode ive double checked everything am missing a couple of pipes off the air intake so pick a part it is tomo...

what trans computer are you using the one with the 320i setup or the 323i one ?? also was the trans working in the 320i ??

not sure about the computer side of it but i would definantly chuck a manual in it.

what trans computer are you using the one with the 320i setup or the 323i one ?? also was the trans working in the 320i ??

The one out of the 320

not sure about the computer side of it but i would definantly chuck a manual in it.

I still need a few things for the conversion but have pedals and gearbox which is off m20 with clutch an flywheel