Sign in to follow this  
nz320i

Heating engine

my engine sits right in the middle of the temp gauge in all my other cars these have sat a wee bit under, just wondered if its normal for a bimmer, also how much if any one knows is a new sensor for the radiator overflow tank thingy

cheers

pretty normal for old cooling system...as long as it doesnt creep up in traffic. a new radiator makes a big diff....runs nice n cool (round 1/4 mark)

not sure how much $$ for radiator level sensor, but easy to replace, had to do it myself recently

My temp guage site right smack bang in the middle and never moves (once it is warm). I have a brand new E36 m50 radiator in my E30. Before with the original old E30 radiator it was a bit all over the show (but never got too hot).

As Gus said, as long as it doesn't creep up in traffic or at slow speeds you should be fine.

Also so long as you are not losing coolant you should be sweet.

Mine normally sits around 1/4 but if I'm going up a steep hill or giving it atrash it creeps up to 1/2. Still on its first radiator as far as i know. Anything to worry about?

Guest Andrew

Mine normally sits around 1/4 but if I'm going up a steep hill or giving it atrash it creeps up to 1/2. Still on its first radiator as far as i know. Anything to worry about?

aside from the fact its probably super clogged - just wait till it stops working properly.

also how much if any one knows is a new sensor for the radiator overflow tank thingy

try these guys, have bought stuff from them and they are really good with delivery etc. .. and much cheaper than from the agents even after postage and converting from US$. You will have either this one

Level sensor

or this one

Sensor

They will also try to source things they don't have in stock.

edit

Also, my temp gauge sits dead in the middle and doesn't move even if I'm towing.

Edited by topless

My car is one year and couple months old and it sits dead center and never moves ... Should it be sitting at 1/4 ???

My car is one year and couple months old and it sits dead center and never moves ... Should it be sitting at 1/4 ???

Have owned plenty Bm's and all sat on 1/2. If any moved from there I immediately took a look as it wasn't normal. I'm sure Brent. (who is another BM fleet owner :lol: ), will confirm this...

My temp guage site right smack bang in the middle and never moves (once it is warm). I have a brand new E36 m50 radiator in my E30. Before with the original old E30 radiator it was a bit all over the show (but never got too hot).

As Gus said, as long as it doesn't creep up in traffic or at slow speeds you should be fine.

Also so long as you are not losing coolant you should be sweet.

hey how hard was it to do a conversion? thanks

Have owned plenty Bm's and all sat on 1/2. If any moved from there I immediately took a look as it wasn't normal. I'm sure Brent. (who is another BM fleet owner :lol: ), will confirm this...

Yeah i thought it's supposed to stay dead center ... all the bmw's that we've had sits dead center ..

its rooted get a honda.

Instead of getting that m50 radiator, you could have what - 9 type-rs? :P

Doesn't the m50 radiator bolt right up to the original mountings on the E30?

Sound like faulty or missing thermostat. Running the engine in a constant "cold" state will cause premature engine wear.

Sound like faulty or missing thermostat.  Running the engine in a constant "cold" state will cause premature engine wear.

Hmmm, I was thinking it was just the temp sensor playing up. And as andy said just a old radiator not able to keep up. I did a coolant flush/change about a month and thermostat seemed to be working fine. I'll check it out though,

Cheers

EDIT: Not sure if it matters but heater is working normally.

Edited by petone

Instead of getting that m50 radiator, you could have what - 9 type-rs? :P

Doesn't the m50 radiator bolt right up to the original mountings on the E30?

It has a M50 radiator because they didn't have any E30 ones in stock.

I was only charged the same price, and as far as I know, it bolted right up (not really sure, I didn't do the work, so didn't take too much notice), and it was amongst a lot of other work.

Cheers

Actually, if it's running slightly warmer, it's most likely your fad fan viscous cluth that is worn therefore the fan does not spin fast enough.

You will need to replace that cklutch thing, or better yet, do an electric-fan retro fit (=performance incerase) :)

Actually, if it's running slightly warmer, it's most likely your fad fan viscous cluth that is worn therefore the fan does not spin fast enough.

only if the car starts to 'overheat' in slow traffic, or when you are stopped (i.e. when there is not enough air flowing through the radiator).

If it is always running hotter than it should, it is unlikely to be the fan clutch.

Cheers

Grant