Sign in to follow this  
M3_Power

Anyone here make carbon parts or 3D printing or Plastic moulding?

Have this item below that I would like to replicate either in Carbon Fiber, ABS plastic or just simple 3D printing ... anyone know what the rough cost might be for something like this? Anyone here in this line of work or know someone that might be able to help?

Rough dimension - 550 x 260 x 150

Item : )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thank you.

Edited by M3_Power

What sort of numbers are you after? Big factor in deciding which way to go would be the cost to tool up to make the parts, so the volume you want will have a major part in the decision.

Rough guide:

1 - 10 off = 3D Print / SLA

10 - 100 off = CF / GRP lay up

100 - 300 off = R-RIM

300+ off = Injection moulded ABS (or similar)

What sort of numbers are you after? Big factor in deciding which way to go would be the cost to tool up to make the parts, so the volume you want will have a major part in the decision.

Rough guide:

1 - 10 off = 3D Print / SLA

10 - 100 off = CF / GRP lay up

100 - 300 off = R-RIM

300+ off = Injection moulded ABS (or similar)

I think injection moulded ABS is probably out of the question (most definitely in NZ anyway) and possibly even RRIM.

Is the item too large for 3D printing? I've looked all over the net and it seems to me a lot of the printers floating around have a maximum print dimension of around 350mm x 350mm

Ideally I'd like it in CF (either laminate or pre-preg autoclave).

Do you know what the rough per piece cost is for the above methods you've mentioned?

FDM of this size would be in the $1500+ in NZ. Fdm is weak and would require alot of finishing

SLA would be more like $2000+ in NZ. Stronger part and less finishing required. CAD models required for both

Silicon mold with RIM could use the original part and replicate the part well. Unsure of price but expect $1500+

Carbon fibre using the original part could be approx $1000-1500 for wet lay up more for prepreg. Labour intensive.

I have worked with carbon before and would suggest this if you spending the money for a replacement part it might as well look special.

CNC from ABS/PP would at a guess be $800 from overseas. 11 day delivery from order.

I can do design and arrange manufacture if required. PM me for further info.

Edit:Note pricing only for manufacture design work additional.

Edited by MLM

FDM of this size would be in the $1500+ in NZ. Fdm is weak and would require alot of finishing

SLA would be more like $2000+ in NZ. Stronger part and less finishing required. CAD models required for both

Silicon mold with RIM could use the original part and replicate the part well. Unsure of price but expect $1500+

Carbon fibre using the original part could be approx $1000-1500 for wet lay up more for prepreg. Labour intensive.

I have worked with carbon before and would suggest this if you spending the money for a replacement part it might as well look special.

CNC from ABS/PP would at a guess be $800 from overseas. 11 day delivery from order.

I can do design and arrange manufacture if required. PM me for further info.

Edit:Note pricing only for manufacture design work additional.

Thanks for the offering and providing price indications!! - I actually already had another member who does design offering to help if I needed this drawn up.

I have to say I was expecting it to be expensive, but not that expensive haha ...

From what I can gather so far and the prices I've received it seems that Composites is the way to go.

Looks like I might just have to find an E46 M3 owner that can do composite work and really want unique replica CSL parts in his car and perhaps come to some sort of arrangement : P

Or maybe try moulding this myself by buying a kit .... hmmmmmm

www.fluidcoatings.co.nz

Not what I am looking for - I am looking at making replicas of this, not to get a finish effect on it. But thanks anyway.

Edited by M3_Power

If you were to do it yourself in carbon i would budget about $400 for the resins and products required to make a mold using your original as a buck. Wouldnt be too difficult and would make a good introductory part if you wanted to make more items.

For the CNC from plastic you could get the price down to about $450 using overseas vendors, The other pricing would drop also (possibly half) but how much i couldnt tell you without getting a quote.

If you were to do it yourself in carbon i would budget about $400 for the resins and products required to make a mold using your original as a buck. Wouldnt be too difficult and would make a good introductory part if you wanted to make more items.

For the CNC from plastic you could get the price down to about $450 using overseas vendors, The other pricing would drop also (possibly half) but how much i couldnt tell you without getting a quote.

Matt, do you do composite work yourself? If so would you like to give this a go?

If not, where would you recommend I buy the resin and products from?

Cheers!!

Matt, do you do composite work yourself? If so would you like to give this a go?

If not, where would you recommend I buy the resin and products from?

Cheers!!

I have done carbon work before (http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index.php?showtopic=28044&st=120) at the hobby level not professional.

It came out well though wouldn’t withstand close scrutinizing a cosmetic part requires as some tight corners suffered some cloudiness. Looking at your part the complex area seems to be the central depressions which look like they locate another part? If so any defects in this area would be hidden.

I could give this a go for you, or the best place ive found to buy resins etc is NZ fibreglass.

A little left field BUT, go and see Paul Hackett (or his old man Trevor) at C-Quip on Vesty drive Mt Wellington. They do super yacht stuff, all in CF.

When i was working there the foreman was a Swiss guy (can't for the life of me remember his name) who worked for Sauber, back when Sauber was the sole owner.

He along with a few other guys in the shop did a LOT of work (design & build) on the first batch of the TRS (Toyota Racing Series) cars. Trevor also had a hand in the design and build of the Hulme supercar (the original one, the BMW powered one)

Proud to say some of my handy work can be found on that car (ego much haha)

Thanks for all the help and replies guys ... will get in contact with some of the suggested.

MLM ... love your work on the intake plenum!! Might have to come and see you one day : )

bellicose .... I gather you are no longer in the same line of work? Amazing how many ex F1 people are here in NZ!!! Awesome.

Try Glen at http://carbontechnik.co.nz/

He loves cars and has made some super cool carbon car parts.

Have been in touch with Glen ... and he has provided some pricing and feedback - very helpful.

Can you tell me, do you know him personally and seen his products or just word of mouth?

Okay just going to give this another bump ... as stated above, have been in touch with Glen in the south island - reasonably priced, but he's fully booked up till end of April ...

Have also been in touch with Hi-tek's suggestion ... having a bit of a communication breakdown however ... so I am going to start to look at alternatives.

Any other suggestions (bellicose - haven't approached your suggestion yet) - given that you used to work in the industry, can you give a rough estimate at the cost of this?

Matt (MLM) ... I've been to nz fibreglass and bought the required gear to start a mould - going to practice first with some miscellaneous stuff - have also viewed countless amount of videos and to be honest it didn't look too hard (I think I'll eat my own words when I start on it haha).

Looking more at people that can reproduce the part above in vacuum infused carbon fibre now over 3D printing - so any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks all!!

Edited by M3_Power

What's happened with him Tom, do you want me to chase him up?

It's alright Ollie, we just have a differences of opinion on his GST position. I've tried my hardest to communicate in the kindest possible way my point of view across but I think either there's a level of distrust or perhaps the part I am wanting to have manufactured is too insignificant in the whole scheme of things (despite this being an order of $5,000 ~ $10,000). I am happy to take my business elsewhere when I don't get replies. Real shame really as everyone that have placed a preliminary order with me so far have been really excited about this (especially the calibre of the person making the parts) - This would have been a beginning to loads more stuff, but oh well. I'll keep looking I suppose.

Have been in touch with Glen ... and he has provided some pricing and feedback - very helpful.

Can you tell me, do you know him personally and seen his products or just word of mouth?

Sorry for the late reply Tom, I missed this. Yes Ive seen Glens work, its pretty impressive.

Matt (MLM) ... I've been to nz fibreglass and bought the required gear to start a mould - going to practice first with some miscellaneous stuff - have also viewed countless amount of videos and to be honest it didn't look too hard (I think I'll eat my own words when I start on it haha).

Looking more at people that can reproduce the part above in vacuum infused carbon fibre now over 3D printing - so any suggestions welcomed.

Awesome stuff, hope you have fun giving it a go. I took a few practice runs till i got it right. Pre prepare everything and lay it all out before you start and its becomes much easier. Happy to help where I can.

Sorry for the late reply Tom, I missed this. Yes Ive seen Glens work, its pretty impressive.

I wish he was in Auckland to be honest ... well priced, seems easy to deal with - might have to give him a call to find out a bit more ... hmmmm

Awesome stuff, hope you have fun giving it a go. I took a few practice runs till i got it right. Pre prepare everything and lay it all out before you start and its becomes much easier. Happy to help where I can.

Yeah I am going to start off on some smaller stuff and make sure I can remove it from the mould first!! (biggest fear)

I've also seen videos on youtube where people have used panel beating bog instead of fiberglass over the gelcoat and it seems to work faster and cleaner - any ideas if this might be a good alternative?

But yeah, in terms of this console - anyone else that know anybody that does good vacuum infused carbon fibre products - get in touch!! Like I said previously, an order woth potentially about $10,000 and many more future products.

I've also seen videos on youtube where people have used panel beating bog instead of fiberglass over the gelcoat and it seems to work faster and cleaner - any ideas if this might be a good alternative?

I would avoid doing that. Bog has a high shrinkage rate which may distort the mold. Add a few layers of glass to the gel coat first before.

Resin infusion is a good method but also look at vaccum consolidation which i did. A little less cosumable/equipment intensive and keeps the fibre to resin ratio acceptable.