Sign in to follow this  
Arma

e39 brake pad screeching

Sorry this thread is a bit similar to this one: http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=42887

Thinking of replacing/upgrading/fixing my brake pads on my e39 520i (2001) which screech like a banshee every time I press the brakes with certain pressures. Wanted to wait for them to wear out first but the screech is unbearably loud now. It is likely to deafen pedestrians.

Question is, is it possible to fix this noise issue without replacing the pads? Or should I just wait for them to wear out and then replace them with better ones. I was told I probably have some aftermarket ones installed from when the car was imported into NZ.

Edited by Arma

it really depends what the problem is.

If the compound of the pad is a race type mix then they always screech. Changing the pads for more suitable street pads is the only option.

If it's just that the pads are glazed you could remove and rough the surface with some sandpaper. Spray the back of the pad with a product like Disc Brake Quiet or replace the shims.

this could be interesting to you:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-t...tenance/4317748

Edited by M5V8

I've got OEM brake pads now and they're pretty noisy and very dirty. Going to be fitting some new ceramic street pads designed to cut noise and dust (jury's out on how good they'll be but I'll report back).

The ones I've got now squeal a bit at low speed gentle braking but the sound you're describing could mean you've got some grit or a stone chip trapped in there. How long it's been going on?

@Darren - not sure if the compound is a race type mix, will have to check it out. Will read that link you gave as well. Thanks for the info.

@Julian - Been going on for a couple months+ now. It used to just be one of the brakes, but now I can hear almost all of them. When the brakes are cold (when I drive in the morning) initially they are pretty quiet when I brake. But after a little bit of driving, the noise arises. The screech only happens when I press the brakes at a certain level though (unfortunately at a level that one can comfortable brake in). If I press the brake pedal a bit harder / softer than that level, then it is quiet again.

'Fraid my limited knowledge of not-very-much-at-all has now been exhausted. Sounds like you need new pads but I'd probably get it looked at by a pro to make sure it's not something else.