Sign in to follow this  
rusteee

DSC light coming on and staying on intermitently?

Hi guys

More E39 issues =) E39 530 2002

Recentlly had a bit of work done on the car (just over a week ago) front brakes pads and discs, rear pads, clean all sensors etc amongst other things.

Now, I'm having a real hassle with the traction control light on the dash coming on and staying on randomly (possibly just coinsidental), losing cruise control and manual gear shifting. This happens suddenly when driving, and will not turn off again until I stop the car, turn it off then turn it on again. I scanned the car (though only OBD2 scanner) no codes were present, I have had in the recent past p0705 PRND sensor out of range. Every now and then the car will go into liimp mode when the light comes on. Does anyone have ideas on what could be causing this? I would just take the car back but cannot get the time off (world smallest violin playing :rolleyes: )

Also keen to know if anyone has replaced there PRND sensor, and how big of a job is it?

Cheers

Russ

Being an E39 I would take a hazard guess that it is the DSC control unit.

Better to get it checked with a descent scanner i.e not aftermarket.

Being an E39 I would take a hazard guess that it is the DSC control unit.

Better to get it checked with a descent scanner i.e not aftermarket.

Oh bugger, more things to replace lol. Yeah I suppose it would be best to get it properly scanned, I was just using my budget aftermarket bluetooth. If it is this unit, have you any idea what these cost?

I do a lot of country driving and the traction control does come on a lot, as well as I like to use cruise when on the motorway, so its a bit of a pain not having it. Don't suppose anyone could do a scan tomorow? :rolleyes:

would this unit affect the gear PRND sensor?

Cheers for the help

We get them repaired in Tauranga. Bout $500 to repair.

Oh right, hmmm thats a bugger, seems the more I spend on this car the more goes wrong lol just stung me $1500 last week, about 6k during the year... the E39 fun =)

Can you get 2nd hand units, or is it better to repair? Or even reconditioned swap units? Don't mind doing the work and would be better as can't really get the car anywhere.

Cheers

Edit: Just had a thought, are talking about the ABS control unit?

Edited by rusteee

Just thought I'd add closure :rolleyes: Almost garuntee it is that ABS unit. Had it checked over again by BM Workshop (Big thanks to them, done a bloody good job on the car), and its all leading to that unit, just coincidental that it happened when it did. Time to bite the bullet.

Has anyone else had an issue with a new unit failing in such a short time?

Edited by rusteee

they pretty much will all fail , as they are not put together very well (low quality wire and solder etc),

my guy who repairs them does a better job than the factory does