Sign in to follow this  
Turning_Point

Can Someone Confirm

hey. i have an e36 318i 1991

and on the first day i got it, i went over a speed bump and ripped off a sensor

now ive shown differnt people in the know and i have come down to 2 differnt possible things it could be.

description: came from the middle of the car, (possibly from where the cat should be/is...i believe my cat has been removed) has a braided silver line, and has a very large point at the end.

after it came off the "overheat/cat" dash light has come on.

now i thought it defiently was a cat sensor, but after reading on the net the o2 sensor can be found by the cat in BMW's as apposed to on the exhaust manifold like most jappas.

so what is it guys? haha

and yeah i heard o2 sensors has holes at the tip of it so yeah.

cheers.

and what is avg fuel consumption you'd expect from a car like mine, i seem to only get 30-50kms out of 10 bucks which is about 6.8L :( works out to nearly as low as 5km per litre

You have ripped off the cat sensor, which you were going to have to do anyway when you went in and got your cat replaced with a resonator.

Go into the check panel and remove the LED where the overheat comes up.

Walah.

As I suggested before, you were always going to have to remove the cat light because you were always going to remove the cat, so go down to the muffler shop and get them to replace your cat with a resonator or muffler...that will increase performance and economy.

As I suggested before, you were always going to have to remove the cat light because you were always going to remove the cat, so go down to the muffler shop and get them to replace your cat with a resonator or muffler...that will increase performance and economy.

roughly how much would that be? thankx

I got my cat replaced with a coby on each exhaust pipe, I think it was either $160 or $220 all up but can't remember to be honest

im a little confused...the cat has already been replaced with a resonator. and the cat check light only came off after the sensor had been ripped apart from the wire. and i got rid of the light on the dash already by grounding that wire back to the chassis of the car.

The overheat light runs off the cat, so it's quite possible that your sensor was just hanging free, who knows, the most important thing is that it's not going to have a detrimental affect.