Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E39 sunroof issues

There's been an underlying fault that shows up on the scanner to do with the sun roof mechanism (can't remember the fault code) but it's always worked fine so I didn't pay too much attention to it... Until today.

Opened okay then didn't want to close. I could hear the click of the motor trying to engage but no movement. It only closed when I turned the ignition off and on.

Have left it closed but wondered if anyone knows any common issues... And whether it's a DIY fix or back to the shop?

not sure about fault codes but i has similar in my 540i

it only did it once, i opened it but it wouldnt close, turned ignition on and off but no difference.

i moved manually with the hex tool, after that its worked perfectly with no issues

Try resync it? Press the button upwards for 30 seconds or so? Not sure if that works on later cars.... Or ones that aren't twin sunroof..m

Try resync it? Press the button upwards for 30 seconds or so? Not sure if that works on later cars.... Or ones that aren't twin sunroof..m

As in push the button in (tilt) rather than push back for full open? I'll try anything once... What is the resync supposed to do?

While you're looking in to the sunroof, It would pay to check the cassette casing for potential leaking..

If you are able to slide the roof back completeley, detach the piece of metal which springs upwards upon the sunroof sliding back, just before the front sunroof corner drains, you should be able to see a seam which should have some sealant in it. If there are signs of the sealant coming loose or some of it's gone, then this will eventually let water in to the car! I came accross this problem on the weekend. i will post up some pics on the forum with a how to (just waiting for the silicone to dry, and to confirm that my solution has fixed the leaks)

As in push the button in (tilt) rather than push back for full open? I'll try anything once... What is the resync supposed to do?

I can only assume the resync is only for the double sunroof (it has two motors and won't even try open before you sync it after you disconnect the battery)

Press the button in I guess... couldn't hurt?

if you google (E39 Sunroof Resync) it has suggestions...

Cheers Michael. There's a good how to here: http://www.lostride.com/how-to-reset-unsti...unroofmoonroof/

I had the seats out last weekend so had unhooked the battery. Didn't know the sunroof needed resetting after that! All sorted now.

Edited by jeffbebe