Sign in to follow this  
M5V8

E39 occasional Stall

Hey team....I'm in need of some bimmersport advice.

02 E39 M5

So the car will stall on low rpm. first happened about a year ago but has happened two or three times in the last few months (although I am driving her more regularly now).

It only happens when she's been running for sometime. Only when its basically idling. When I slow from highway speed put it in neutral and crawl upto a intersection. it just dies. Hit the key and it fires right up.

Never happens if I run down through the rev range in every gear.

Wife says it's objecting to being driven like a grandma.

I ignored the first few times it did it but now it's starting to annoy.

Any ideas where to start?

Start with a scan and see what turns up first. The fault may be recorded without throwing the check engine light

Also have a look at the live data and check the Idle Control input value. It should match the MAF intake values.

The cause could be anything, but my bet is a intake vaccum issue. As Glenn says a scan might just bring up some tell tail signs in the shadow memory.

If the errors are sporadic, you should have a count how many times they happen. If theyre constant then it may be a lot more obvious.

thanks for the feedback....

I guess I'll have to have a trip to mr Jeff grey unless there's someone else in wtgn that can scan?

I'm thinking this might be hard to track down... it's really only happened maybe 5-6 times in total?

Just the twice in the last month annoyed me. Quite embarrassing.