Sign in to follow this  
varun1794

E30 faulty fuel gauge

Hey guys my e30 fuel gauge has stopped working the fuel light works but the gauge jumps insanely back and forward, the level sender has been changed so I'm guessing its the gauge itself.... Any tips on what I can have a look at before I go hunting around for a cluster?

Pre or Facelift? Facelift run two senders - one each side. Check all connections/earths

Pre or Facelift? Facelift run two senders - one each side. Check all connections/earths

Facelift ok will do but I thought the left side was the empty light? Thanks for the help though

Nup, empty light control is in drivers side sender. A separate circuit to gauge circuit.

I'm not sure if this is faulty but seeing that this post is related, this is what I have right now... :unsure:

Posted Image

Was risky driving around like this tonight, so not really sure if my refill light doesn't work or there's an inaccurate gauge playing here...

Edited by curves.asia

lots of E30s have dodgy fuel gauges, even the ones that work arent accurate most of the time.

but yet to see a warning light fail.

I just replaced the backlights in Dads E30 last weekend - I only realised then that it eeven HAD a light! I never knew. I asked Dad if it worked, but he has never let the tank get that low in all those years of owning it!

Is it supposed to come on at ignition on, as a test thing like the oil light etc?

lots of E30s have dodgy fuel gauges, even the ones that work arent accurate most of the time.

but yet to see a warning light fail.

I'm not really sure if the light fails or I still have quite a bit left to run until the light comes on... the mind boggles!

I'm not really sure if the light fails or I still have quite a bit left to run until the light comes on... the mind boggles!

I dont really trust the fuel gauge in any car though, been in too many run out of fuel situations. i fill the E30 at 400km, the E34 at 4-500miles depending if town driving or roadtrip, and the econovan at 300km. some cars when full it points 10 degrees further round when it is full so when its empty it still looks like its got more.

Anyways thats all off topic. dodgy gauges is sometimes a result of loose grounding nuts which are also the mounting nuts on the back of the cluster. id check those are tight enough for a start.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

I dont really trust the fuel gauge in any car though, been in too many run out of fuel situations. i fill the E30 at 400km, the E34 at 4-500miles depending if town driving or roadtrip, and the econovan at 300km. some cars when full it points 10 degrees further round when it is full so when its empty it still looks like its got more.

Anyways thats all off topic. dodgy gauges is sometimes a result of loose grounding nuts which are also the mounting nuts on the back of the cluster. id check those are tight enough for a start.

Yeah I've been in too many of those too, would be lucky if I can get 400km out of the E30 <_<

Yeah I've been in too many of those too, would be lucky if I can get 400km out of the E30 <_<

i used to in my 320i auto, 450 was pushing it. can get 500-550 in the 316i, have got 600 on a trip to one tank to see John (bellicose)

i used to in my 320i auto, 450 was pushing it. can get 500-550 in the 316i, have got 600 on a trip to one tank to see John (bellicose)

The most I've done was 385 on my 320i auto, though wasn't getting it as low as the picture above... Will try and check the grounding etc.