Sign in to follow this  
albert72

Need help

post-4341-1363493641.jpgManage to stripped the bolt/shaft where steering wheel bolts on :(

The nut that holds the steering wheel (which is also stripped) is M14x1.5. I'm considering re-threading the bolt/shaft with a tap and die set which I know very little of. Should I use a M14x1.5 die on the shaft/bolt???

Edited by Tom325

Manage to stripped the bolt/shaft where steering wheel bolts on :(

The nut that holds the steering wheel (which is also stripped) is M14x1.5. I'm considering re-threading the bolt/shaft with a tap and die set which I know very little of. Should I use a M14x1.5 die on the shaft/bolt???

If the thread is truly stripped then you will need to replace the shaft.

Using a Die nut will only retrace the existing thread or whats left of it.

If the thread is truly stripped then you will need to replace the shaft.

Using a Die nut will only retrace the existing thread or whats left of it.

dont know tooo much on this but im sure you can have it re threaded wit a re threading tool and use a small nut and different washer and bob your uncle haha

http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?q=rethreadi...106&bih=626

copy past that or there are other tool kits call around someone may be able to come out to u

M14X1.5 tap and die did the trick !!! :D

I very much doubt that the recovered thread from using the tap and die will be strong enough to be safe. Did you tighten it to 80 Nm ??

one more thing bro-----HOW ON EARTH DID YOU MUNT IT LIKE THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE??HAHAHA

I very much doubt that the recovered thread from using the tap and die will be strong enough to be safe. Did you tighten it to 80 Nm ??

Yes I did

one more thing bro-----HOW ON EARTH DID YOU MUNT IT LIKE THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE??HAHAHA

Was too lazy to use a socket wrench to bolt back the steering wheel. Use impact gun instead, didn't realized that the nut was misaligned when I put it on!!! :blink:

Can I check it for free to maybe save your life or someone elses ??

Can I check it for free to maybe save your life or someone elses ??

Thanks for the offer, but no need. Already had it checked today by my mechanicðŸ‘

Edited by Tom325

Thanks for the offer, but no need. Already had it checked today by my mechanic👍

Good.. I really hope you did... I have had a steering wheel come off while driving...not a very nice experience. You don't know how much leverage you put on a wheel while driving untill it comes loose or breaks free.

Good.. I really hope you did... I have had a steering wheel come off while driving...not a very nice experience. You don't know how much leverage you put on a wheel while driving untill it comes loose or breaks free.

I know what you mean. I forgot to mention that also I applied some loctite threadlocker. Thanks again