Sign in to follow this  
DKSBMW

Wiring aftermarket stereo WITHOUT harness?

Okay here goes...

I've had this car for a few months (2001 318i) and ever since I've had no radio.

The original BMW Business CD was there, but when I took it out, it was without the harness and just loose wires (I got this car very cheap, but in mint condition minus the radio)...

All speakers work, and am sure they are connected to built in amp (as I have seen the connection in the dash)...

However, part of my upgrades include my own amp and subwoofers, so I will not need the built in amp.

---- THE QUESTION....

I want to wire an aftermarket stereo (a cheap sony xplod) however nothing that I have tried has gone right, and I'm hoping for some advice so I don't have to get this done in a shop.

I have isolated the wires and so far know my ground is a thick brown wire, and power is possibly a red/green striped wire and/or purple/white striped wire.

Can someone shed some light on whats going wrong?

The xplod has the basic yellow, red and black wires, that are easy to wire in your average car, but this BMW has been seriously scratching my head. My fuses are fine, all checked (including the xplod's)....

But no matter how I connect the wires (I'm doing it properly, with the plastic caps) the stereo just won't go. I have tried the same method with other car stereos and it just doesn't power them. What am I doing wrong?

I am quite a noob to BMW, but I love them so please bare with my noobnis. I'm tired of having no music.

Any help, links would be highly appreciated, if TL:DR I appreciate also ;)

Many thanks.

first check you have power at those wires using a test light or volt meter.

you also need to supply power to the aerial amplier (thin white wire)

first check you have power at those wires using a test light or volt meter.

you also need to supply power to the aerial amplier (thin white wire)

Mate, I couldn't thank you enough. You seriously saved me a tonne.

Truely Appreciated.

Just connect up the earth, ignition, and battery leads. Your headunit shoulkd now power up. If it doesn't then either it's out to lunch or you've gopt fuse/harness problems.

Once those three are hooked up and unit is working, then start wiring the rest

I have isolated the wires and so far know my ground is a thick brown wire, and power is possibly a red/green striped wire and/or purple/white striped wire.

The xplod has the basic yellow, red and black wires, that are easy to wire in your average car, but this BMW has been seriously scratching my head. My fuses are fine, all checked

To be quite brutal, if this is as far as your diagnositc ability goes then take it to someone who knows what they're doing. No point blowing up something and being back at square one with a bigger job at hand.

Helpful link http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=245914

Body of posting has wiring colours / use. If you dropping after market speakers in the factory location use the mid bass wiring as it's a thicker gauge.

Note the rear screen aerial is active and will need power to operate. It also has a diversity system which an after market head unit won't use ( helps with finge area reception)

Also check out the metra brand which has some drop in harnesses depending on factory head unit. If you have a rear factory amp then it will become more complex as Bmw have sole rights to the tyco connector which covers the amp power , balanced inputs and speaker outputs. E.g no aftermarket looms with the tyco connector

One thing to consider is if you have the factory 10 speaker amp / speaker setup it's probably better to run RCA from the Sony , convert to balanced audio via suitable box link or after market bass processor and feed it into the factory amp as it will have more power over all than the 12 watts rms per channel that the Sony has.

Edited by Neal

I'm one of those ppl in a shop that can do this for you but to be honest stereos are pretty easy.

My advise to you would be to go on the 12volt.com website and look up your year/model of car and there will be a full color code key for you.

If your e46 is a 318 I would be quite surprised if it has the factory amp setup as not many 318's do.

you will def need at least a lead light and Brents advise about powering up the thin white is very true your radio reception will be total crap if its not connected to your remote output from the sony(blue wire)

good luck.

I'm one of those ppl in a shop that can do this for you but to be honest stereos are pretty easy.

My advise to you would be to go on the 12volt.com website and look up your year/model of car and there will be a full color code key for you.

If your e46 is a 318 I would be quite surprised if it has the factory amp setup as not many 318's do.

you will def need at least a lead light and Brents advise about powering up the thin white is very true your radio reception will be total crap if its not connected to your remote output from the sony(blue wire)

good luck.

here is the key for a 99 e46 im sure it will be the same

Constant 12V+ Red/White

Switched 12V+ Purple/White

Ground Brown

Illumination n/a

Dimmer n/a

Antenna Trigger White

Antenna Rear Window, Diversity

Front Speakers 5 1/4" Kick Panels

Left Front (+) Yellow/Red

Left Front (-) Brown/Orange

Right Front (+) Black/Red

Right Front (-) Brown/Orange

Rear Speakers 4" Rear Deck

Left Rear (+) Yellow/Black

Left Rear (-) Black/Orange

Right Rear (+) Blue/Black

Right Rear (-) Brown/Orange

please check by testing everything before making any connections as I'v found this site to sometimes be inaccurate however its more often than not bang on.

Edited by btccm3

Okay here goes...

I've had this car for a few months (2001 318i) and ever since I've had no radio.

The original BMW Business CD was there, but when I took it out, it was without the harness and just loose wires (I got this car very cheap, but in mint condition minus the radio)...

All speakers for sale work, and am sure they are connected to built in amp (as I have seen the connection in the dash)...

However, part of my upgrades include my own amp and subwoofers, so I will not need the built in amp.

---- THE QUESTION....

I want to wire an aftermarket stereo (a cheap sony xplod) however nothing that I have tried has gone right, and I'm hoping for some advice so I don't have to get this done in a shop.

The xplod has the basic yellow, red and black wires, that are easy to wire in your average car, but this BMW has been seriously scratching my head. My fuses are fine, all checked (including the xplod's)....

But no matter how I connect the wires (I'm doing it properly, with the plastic caps) the stereo just won't go. I have tried the same method with other car stereos and it just doesn't power them. What am I doing wrong?

I am quite a noob to BMW, but I love them so please bare with my noobnis. I'm tired of having no music.

Any help, links would be highly appreciated, if TL:DR I appreciate also ;)

Many thanks.

Its not that big problem. You car facing power supply issues. Just check it and enjoy good music tracks :) Edited by Mossqua

You Sir, are a god.