Sign in to follow this  
BMRBOI

E36 window/door wiring

Hi guys, question

Were there any differences in wiring for window switches in the e36? I tried looking this up on an ETK for my build sheet, no luck.

Basically I have 4 wire window switches which have been rangi wired in. Im not sure if all e36's were fitted with the 5 wire type for the drivers window (push down harder and the window goes all the way down automatically).

Also were there any differences in door wiring in the e36 (apart from speaker wiring)

Car is a 93 325i coupe (WBABF42010JA89017), I believe it’s been fitted with 1995/6 328i doors

Any help will be appreciated

yes quite a few changes , depending on year , spec etc

Cheers Brent,

If i was sourcing loom sections should i be getting it only from a 1993? im wondering if i should get hold of door wiring loom to replace the existing.

yes quite a few changes , depending on year , spec etc

Cheers Brent,

If i was sourcing loom sections should i be getting it only from a 1993? im wondering if i should get hold of door wiring loom to replace the existing.

depends on the spec of the car , does it have one touch window down option

(will have 2 small plugs for the window motor) or is the older type with the large multi pin plug for the window motor.

1 or 2 speakers or non of them , heated mirror glass??

Arh this just gets messier as I look into it. Who would butcher a wiring loom like this! Just makes no sense.

Reg motor is a 2 plug type (just two wires running to the window motor atm)

Windows don’t drop down when you open the doors (assuming this has been ripped out)

Has four wire mirrors (non heated?)

Has no speaker wires set up but I would think it would be the one tweeter set.

SO. In order to get the doors back to how they should be, should I count the wires and record the colours of the original door loom and try to source a new section to replace into the doors?

Do I need to change out the window regulators to the one plug type? I still cant find out a way to tell if the original door switch was a 5 wire type.

A few extra wires cut around in the door…

post-1183-1364950754.jpg

post-1183-1364950759.jpg

post-1183-1364950763.jpg

post-1183-1364950767.jpg

post-1183-1364950771.jpg

post-1183-1364950775.jpg