Sign in to follow this  
MilesP

Buying E46 318i

Hi all, I am going for a second look at a car later on today.

It is a 1999 BMW E46 318i Wagon done 140,000kms. Its auto and tidy apart from marks on the bonnet.

What are things I should look out for. I am familiar with BMW especially the E36 as I own a 323i. I have covered the bases including rocker covers, power steering, coolant leaks but how about other things which are a specific concern with the E46?

Also this car will be selling for around 6 - 6.5k is this a good buy?

good cars overall, but as you can see in the current thread, thier cooling systems aren't great just like all bmws of this era. i would be budgeting to redo that stuff if no proof of previously being done.

also E46 eat front suspension iirc, something like bushings or tierods, someone will know. could just be an exaggeration. or maybe its just the compacts i was looking at at one stage

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Thanks for the response. I will look into that!

Looking at the car mechanically it runs perfectly and there are no nasty leaks. The only downside is that the bonnet is rough and the roof is also rough ish. If I bought this car I would be wanting to respray it at some stage.