Sign in to follow this  
Ahmedsinc

Head Gaskets

Been thinking about doing the HG on my M0b25 as a precautionary measure while the engine is out to facilitate the manual conversion. Which got me to thinking about something. Going by Realoem the M52B28 E46 HGs are 0.7mm & 1.0mm, as opposed to the 1.75mm on the M50. Which leads me to two questions.

Do the coolant galleries & other bits like that retain the same measurements & locations as the M50 head?

And how much will it wind up the compression by?

Will the M50 in otherwise totally stock form handle the increase?

Will the stock ECU accommodate it for fueling & not retarding timing?

Am I talking out of my fundamental orifice or is this something worth investigating?

Ok, so I lied when I sad two questions ;)

TIA

Edited by Ahmedsinc

M54 headgasket wont fit on m50. Some parts don't line up.

Doesn't matter though because you can get the different thicknesses from cometic and some other distributors.

Otherwise elring head gasket and shave the head.

If the current head gasket is fine i'd leave it the way it is.

If your looking for more power and don't mind spending the money I can help with getting some compression ratio measurements

M54 headgasket wont fit on m50. Some parts don't line up.

Doesn't matter though because you can get the different thicknesses from cometic and some other distributors.

Otherwise elring head gasket and shave the head.

If the current head gasket is fine i'd leave it the way it is.

If your looking for more power and don't mind spending the money I can help with getting some compression ratio measurements

Thanks, figured they wouldn't correspond. TBH, I'm more interested in how much of a difference 0.7mm would make to the comp ratio. As far as an exercise in power gains, I'm rather more inclined to go the M60 route than fart about endlessly with a wee little 153ci I6 :) Although I do rather like the idea of stroking it out to 3l and shoving a suitable supercharger down its throat ;)