Sign in to follow this  
Arma

e39 Swap m54b22 with m54b30

I can't remember if I've made a post regarding this before.. can't seem to find one, so I'll make it here.

I've been wanting to swap out the m54b22 from my e39 520i with a m54b30 (found in 530i and 330i i think). Wanted to ask what the overall cost of such a swap would come around to, including labour and all the other parts that would need changed to suit the engine? What other parts would require changing (From what I recall there are a fair few things on the list). Since i'm a newbie at major upgrades like this i'd obviously be taking to a workshop for it (any recommendations?)

Lastly, would it be worth making such an engine swap? I'd like to have a bit more grunt in my e39, and as comfortable as the 520i is it is lacking the moderate power that I'd like - hence why I'm leaning towards the 530i type of power.

Any advice / info would be great.

Cheers

Edited by Arma

I'd assume you'll need the suspension, brakes, roll bars, radiator, all engine ancillaries, ECUs, trans, diff, wheels & tyre upgrades and possibly more stuff to make it worthwhile. There could even be differences in the wiring looms that will need addressing. I' no E39 expert but those are just the basic things to think about

On a cost / benefit balance it'll probably be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier just to sell your 2.2 and buy a 530i.

Don't forget that an engine upgrade requires certification, which lead to higher insurance costs. Plus for all the faffing around you'll still only wind up with a standard 3 litre - why not look at forced induction for your current motor if you've been bitten by the mod bug?

Flick off the 520 and get what you really want. Easy :D

*Edit - seems your car is worth around the 6-9k range depending on condition. A 530i M-Sport can be had for around 13k. I'd be willing to bet there's no way you could do a full conversion properly for 5 grand. Especially if the bulk of the work will be done by someone else thats gonna be charging you at least $60 an hour +GST. Just my 5 cents.

Edited by Ahmedsinc

It seems, that it's just the engine and software to change.

You may have different diff ratio and auto gearbox maybe.

I'd like to convert my M54B25 to a 3.0 too, but it's manual - all I really have to do is change the engine and install the correct software via WINKFP - it's the same ECU and everything. The manual trans is different, but it'll work.

Thanks for the input guys. Was digging up old emails and found one from Ray in Hell BM, who quoted $3000-$3500 for the total cost of install, including all replacement parts, which was pretty tempting.

But in the end just all the other fuss I might have to deal with (e.g. insurance) might not be worth it.

Thanks for the input guys. Was digging up old emails and found one from Ray in Hell BM, who quoted $3000-$3500 for the total cost of install, including all replacement parts, which was pretty tempting.

But in the end just all the other fuss I might have to deal with (e.g. insurance) might not be worth it.

As I'm discovering engine swaps are far easier in planning than in execution. If Ray has quoted you 3k for the swap that's probably on the cheap side considering the work involved plus the expertise on hand. Certification can be a bugger and insurance companies are only gonna make it more painful - just sell your car & buy a 530 M.

Now if only I could find an Alpina B8 :ph34r: