Sign in to follow this  
Arma

e39 Oil Leak

This is on my e39 520i 2001 (tiptronic). I've got a small oil leak coming from somewhere near the front of the car, probably the engine. The color is dark brown, it's oily obviously, didn't really smell like anything when I smelled it. I've had transmission fluid leak in the car last year, was ignorant about it, and in the end hand to have a transmission overhaul in February this year (at BM Workshop grey lynn). Not going to make the same mistake again so just going to investigate as early as I can.

In February, BM Workshop said I have a very minor engine oil leak, when they were repairing my transmission. Said it's not major to fix at the time and to just keep checking oil level and fix it later - said it would cost around $500 + gst to fix. Oil has never been leaking to the floor under the car since my transmission repair until recently. It's not a huge amount, a few drops, but just wanted to identify what kind of oil it might be - hoping that it isn't transmission oil. Google research shows it is likely engine oil but the description seems to match some other kinds of oil too. The leak is close to the engine bay area, maybe closer to where the front two seats are, but around there. My main question is, does this sound like engine oil? Hoping it's not transmission fluid again. Thinking of just going in and getting it fixed, would rather patch all small problems up before they become bigger.

On top of that, got some coolant leaking somewhere that Glenn (Botany Motorworx) identified - probably should look at getting that fixed too.

Edited by Arma

Look under oil cap for condensation and for oily residue in your coolant. Could be the HG

First most common leak on an M54 is the racker cover - cheap and easy. usually you'll small burning oil though, as it leaks onto the exhaust.

Second most common is the oil filter housing seal. Even cheaper, not as easy though. It tends to look dark and nasty, as it leaks slowly and gets covered with dust and dirt on it's way down.

If you have a coolant leak, you want to fix it VERY fast. M54 do NOT like to be overheated, and they run hot anyway, and over heat FAST.

If you have high OBC, it's not so bad as the car monitors the coolant level. with low OBC, you can leak the coolant out, and it will not worn you. Plus it may not register as being hot until it's too late, or maybe not even show hot at all! If the sensor is in air, it doesn't read properly.

Definitely check the rocker cover gasket and the cam seals as these are extremely common in pretty much any engine.

Never worked on an M54 before but if it has a rubber gasket on the rocker cover and the gasket is quite hard then it's time for a new one

This could be a number of items as stated cam cover gasket, oil filter mounting gasket how many k's has it done?. When they had the trans out did they replace the rear crankshaft seal as I have seen a couple of these leaking at 100,000k the oil drip's out the back of the motor bottom of the bell housing. Look at the sump right front, rear corners. Getting quoted $500 + GSt to fix an oil leak is not a small amount in my opinion. Also other areas to look but not necessary coursing the trouble the hoses on the power steering reservoir these are held on with hose clamps and can work loose plus the cap it has a rubber "o" ring and people tighten them to tight and it flattens the ring. As for the coolant leak get back in touch with Glenn happy hunting and let us know the out come.

Thanks for all the feedback.

allan

This could be a number of items as stated cam cover gasket, oil filter mounting gasket how many k's has it done?. When they had the trans out did they replace the rear crankshaft seal as I have seen a couple of these leaking at 100,000k the oil drip's out the back of the motor bottom of the bell housing. Look at the sump right front, rear corners. Getting quoted $500 + GSt to fix an oil leak is not a small amount in my opinion. Also other areas to look but not necessary coursing the trouble the hoses on the power steering reservoir these are held on with hose clamps and can work loose plus the cap it has a rubber "o" ring and people tighten them to tight and it flattens the ring. As for the coolant leak get back in touch with Glenn happy hunting and let us know the out come.

The car is currently at 125k's. Transmission was done around 116k's.

These are the following parts that were replaced/repaired during the trans work by BM Workshop Grey Lynn, copied from my invoice:

• Drive Shaft Donut e32, 34, 36, 38, 39
  • O-Ring - AT Cooler Line
  • Oil Trans ATF LT71141 (ZF 5HP)
  • Coolant Pipe E38, 39, 46, M52, 54 Lower
  • Coolant Pipe e38,e39, 46, M52, 54 Upper
  • Hose Breather M52, 54 Return
  • Hoseclamp 12-20mm
  • Coolant 1.5lt - Anticorrosion / Antifreeze
  • O-Ring Temp Sensor in Lower Hose (Most Models)
  • Bleed Screw Fine
  • Transmission outwork

Not sure any of them would be related to the oil leak.

@Allanw - not sure whether I have low/high OBC

What kind of price range / time to repair do these smaller/cheaper kind of oil leaks seem to be around? I'd be going on a few road trips the coming month so just want to patch most things up before I do long distance drives. Might take my car in sometime next week, will have to check if Glenn is available.

@Allanw - not sure whether I have low/high OBC

If your car is from Singapore, it probably has - they are usually very well specced.

High OBC has text display at the bottom of the instruments cluster, Low OBC has a picture of a car, and doesn't warn far as many things :-(

Turns out there was oil leaking from vanos hose and possibly another place (there was some oil on the pan and oil sensor but not sure if that came from the vanos leak), need a better look to see where else the oil might be coming from - not a major leak but still wanna get it patched up. The coolant leak is definitely there. Booked the car in @ Botany Motorworx to pressure test / fix the coolant leak later on in the week and possibly the oil leaks too.

Would pay to get Glenn to replace the Vanos seals for you if it hasn't already been done. If you're planning on keeping it for a while of course. No idea what the cost would be but search out the forum, there's at least one guy on here that's done it and it seems the results are well worthwhile

Got the car when was 110k (just hit 126k now), didn't really have a service/repair history with it so not sure if seals have been replaced. I do plan to keep it for a while, for now. Other than oil leaks from the hose, are there any tell signs as to when the seals would need changing? Mine might be due, so will ask to get it checked out when the car is at Glenn's. Other than better mpg, are there many other noticeable changes after seals are replaced?

Edited by Arma

Other than better mpg, are there many other noticeable changes after seals are replaced?

Much more low end torque.

Basically if they haven't been done (probably not) they'll be due. BMW used the wrong material O rings.

Much more low end torque.

Basically if they haven't been done (probably not) they'll be due. BMW used the wrong material O rings.

Ah nice, some more low end torque would be nice. Yeah I'll have a look into getting the seals replaced - is it a long task?

Ah nice, some more low end torque would be nice. Yeah I'll have a look into getting the seals replaced - is it a long task?

Nah, Took me about 3 hours, but doing it again would probably only be 2 hours max.