Sign in to follow this  
nutter

E36 Parts Swap, Better Acceleration?

Hey all

I have a 1996 e36 4door 328i done 155,000km on the body and 95,000km on the motor, i also have a 1992 e36 M325i 2door with a blown M50 and the body dereg, what i have been told the intake on the 328i are restricted and the M50 intake has more flow

What i would like to ask:

putting a M50b25(cast block) intake on my M52b28 straight swap or are the sensors and wiring different?

^easy swap?

How do i find the diff ratio on my e36's?

Would a M325i diff give me faster acceleration

What is the better Manual gear box for acceleration Getrag 260-220(which is stronger to)?

My Goal it to get my 328i to accelerate quicker(Dont care about top speed as i dont like losing my licence)

Any Thoughts on how to make my 328i fast off the line :)

Wont let me upload PIC's

Thanks Gareth

Edited by nutterbutter

OEM CarBrain C168 Scanner update by email,Maintenance records management and Standard UBS port.It is easy to use and excellent performance.Bluetooth technology and has a full range coverage of vehicles.http://www.nobd2.com/profi-wifi-obd2-oem-carbrain-c168-scanner.html

bugger thats not cheap, know any one that can remap/tune my ecu in Auckland instead of buy this tool,or any with this tool that will do it for me for some cash and beers?

pics need to be hosted or 800x600 or something have a look on the stickied threads.

Getrag 260=e30 ... can fit but you'd might as well get a 220(or 250 or zf) that fits from the start.

There are tags on the diffs. Wipe off all the road snot and it'll say something like 2.92 , 3.15, 3.23 etc

The higher the number the faster the car will accelerate(in simple terms). But if you get a high number you'll have more rpms while your cruising at 100kph. 3.15 is around 3000rpm in 5th. any higher and you might get sick of it.

m50 conversion has been discussed many a time and is my favorite secret story about bmws that every car guy loves to share. More power at higher rpms. Not a straight swap but not overly hard. Google it

Manual conversion, a good clutch and flywheel setup, 3.15 or 3.23 diff and an lsd.

If you want to beat a honda you might need to spend some more money

Ive got a e36 323i with the m52b25, which also has the restrictive obd2 intake. It had 315000kms on it when I picked it up several months ago, mustve been a reps car as itd clocked 250000km in just under 3 years and it still runs amazingly well.

The auto was starting to slip when I go the car, first modification was a manual conversion with a lightweight flywheel (from one of Bimmersports members) which made it so much more of a drivers car. Also the factory auto diff ratio coupled with the manual gearbox ratio is great for acceleration but theyre less than desirable for highway driving.

Ive just put the m50b25 intake manifold on last weekend and the breathing improvement at the top of the rev range is significant enough that its noticeable. With the old intake you could feel the engine choke around the 5500rpm mark, where as now it still spins freely to the rev limit.

I had a pre intake dyno run done and Im just waiting for a chance to do a follow up, will post results when I have but Id recommend it.