Sign in to follow this  
dix

e90 entry key

Hi everyone

I've just bought an e90 which came with only one entry key.

Where is the best place to buy another key for my wife and what would the likely cost be?

Cheers

dix

Hi everyone

I've just bought an e90 which came with only one entry key.

Where is the best place to buy another key for my wife and what would the likely cost be?

Cheers

dix

I got a genuine one for our E39 through Milland.co.nz, quite a lot cheaper than the dealer.

Thanks Elmarco, they sound promising. My VW key's been through the washing machine and remote won't work anymore. (Still starts the car though...) $500+ for a new remote and full day at the $tealership to reprogram the car seems way over the top. Might give them a try.

These guys were doing them for around $280 (from memory) a while back.

Thanx for all your answers guys! However, the Auckland key suppliers can only programme the key if you take your car to them.

Jeff Gray BMW is $411, so I've asked Milland to quote me!

Cheers

Speaking of the push button start, you can insert the key into the dash, start the engine, stop the engine, remove the key then press the start button and the engine will start, is there any way you don't have to insert the key at all and just use the push button?

Might of been confusing, but check this Yooo Tube

Some cars released today don't require you to insert a key at all (toyboata for example) - although their system with touching the door handles to unlock is a gimmick IMO & try hard Euro.

That start-stop-remove-restart thing is a safety feature in case of rail crossing, car jacking, etc...

Full Keyless start has been an option for E90 (Comfort Entry) and others from similar era. It's now standard on the current new 1-series

Thanx for all your answers guys! However, the Auckland key suppliers can only programme the key if you take your car to them.

Jeff Gray BMW is $411, so I've asked Milland to quote me!

Cheers

Ahhh - you're not in Auckland.... Bummer.

That start-stop-remove-restart thing is a safety feature in case of rail crossing, car jacking, etc...

Full Keyless start has been an option for E90 (Comfort Entry) and others from similar era. It's now standard on the current new 1-series

Yeah, as you say it's an option in the E90.

Good idea?

To eliminate putting the key into the dash of the E90, I've instead inserted the spare key from the glovebox permanently, is this ok to do? I can lock the car, unlock the car from the key on my remote still. The reason I want to do this is so that I can just hop in the car and press the start button...

Won't cause any damage?

I guess the only negative is that if someone smashed the window they could start the car & drive off...

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Ummm - not sure that's the best idea. I can hear mine doing something every time I unlock it which I've assumed it was priming a fuel pump or something. Either way, I'm not sure what youre planning is such a great idea from an insurance point of view.

What's so hard about actually putting the key in the slot? Afterall, you've been physically having to turn the key before now....

Ummm - not sure that's the best idea. I can hear mine doing something every time I unlock it which I've assumed it was priming a fuel pump or something. Either way, I'm not sure what youre planning is such a great idea from an insurance point of view.

What's so hard about actually putting the key in the slot? Afterall, you've been physically having to turn the key before now....

One of our cars has a keycard which requires the card to be with you when starting and unlocking, I think if I'm parking it where I can't see it (at work I can see it through the window and at home it's garaged) I will remove the key.

It's nothing more than just plain laziness.

Yeah but you don't want the fuel system primed (or whatever the hell I can hear on mine) and all the electronics powered up the whole time the key is in the slot. You never know - it may even be powering the coils up in preparation for starting or something equally as unexpected....

Common sense tells me that's not a very good idea. Regardless of what effect it has on the car... If you really want and have the $$, you can always get Comfort access retrofitted.

I don't think retrofitting is even possible or at least it will be prohibitively expensive. Different key, handful of sensors, wiring and coding. You must really want it that badly to go down this route.

Leave the square key in and take the metal key out does funny thing to mine. All my iDrive presets disappeared and electric seat memory are gone. Pretty sure for as long as you leave the square key in the slot, steering wheel won't lock when you lock the car from outside.

The keys are coded - mine changes radio settings, and I think A/C temp to the last setting used on that key.

Hi guys

I seemed to have solved my spare key problem, so I pass this on to anyone else who might be wanting a second key.

Eventually got myself an 'adapter key' from Jeff Gray for the cost of $166. The adapter fob holds a blade manual entry key with a programmed chip in it. So, whilst I have no remote capability, I can gain entry to the car and I can drive it!

Not a bad option, which some owners don't know about. Of course, there should have been an adapter key as a spare in the car when I bought it. But it was pre-owned, so enough said.

Mine came with 4x keys, 2x standard remote keys, 2x skeleton keys, one is mounted in the glovebox in like a replica shell.

That's a bargain in relation to the price of the car! :P