Sign in to follow this  
e30ftw

Good e30 shocks for DD?

Wanting to hear some recommendations on what are people running in their e30's for a smooth ride for just general driving, no track use or anything like that?

Leaning towards Bilstein Sport shocks as I've read alot on U.S forums these are good and firm also stiffer then regular shocks used and great paired with H&R's.

What other options are there? What are people paying for Koni adjustables, are they even better? - I've read alot of opinions on different combo's so keen to hear peoples experiences with different spring / shock combinations or preferences.

I currently have H&R sports (I think sports anyway), but the rear is sitting too low for my liking, I have some Vogtland rears which I may put back in though as they were not too bad (just wanted to have the same all around but touring is a little more bum heavy so rear sits lower than a sedan / coupe would)

Ran Bilstein\H&R sports in my E30 with 15" alloys for years and found them a bit harsh on bad roads especially when going over ruts etc, wouldn't call it a smooth ride but i could live with it. I know they can be re-valved to make them better but i dont think they will ever be as good as Koni's.

While not an E30 the Koni's my E34 & E32 were better in every way than when ive had bilsteins in them. Im running Oem Boge sport shocks with Vogtland springs atm in my E34 and it rides pretty well, sits perfect for me and handles nicely, a perfect balance.

I have Boge's at the moment, they are not bad but I think the front's have had it. What sort of Koni's are you running? Adjustable or ?

I think I heard the koni adjustables were $360 each for fronts or something for an e30?? Where does everyone get them from?

I have Boge's at the moment, they are not bad but I think the front's have had it. What sort of Koni's are you running? Adjustable or ?

I think I heard the koni adjustables were $360 each for fronts or something for an e30?? Where does everyone get them from?

Close to $360, but a little bit more I think. I've priced them recently for my E30 touring. Am going to go with those Koni's and some new springs, the same as is on the car club touring. Ernst was going to find out where the springs on the rear came from as he seems to recall they came from overseas.

I've currently got Bilstein with king springs, but it's too soft for my liking. The rear end bobs around ( but I suspect these may have had it ).

Edited by vtgts300kw

Yeah yellow single adjustables. I purchased mine from shox.com and iirc they were around 1k landed at the time

Close to $360, but a little bit more I think. I've priced them recently for my E30 touring. Am going to go with those Koni's and some new springs, the same as is on the car club touring. Ernst was going to find out where the springs on the rear came from as he seems to recall they came from overseas.

I've currently got Bilstein with king springs, but it's too soft for my liking. The rear end bobs around ( but I suspect these may have had it ).

So expensive locally.. Yeah that's the same with mine, the rear bobs down really low. I want it more stiff, but not unbearable where the cabin just bangs and clunks in the rear.

Yeah yellow single adjustables. I purchased mine from shox.com and iirc they were around 1k landed at the time

Good site, Koni sports are $590 USD - Are the Koni sports the adjustable ones? I think they are shorter front inserts than stock so need strut modification though.. Hmmm.

So expensive locally.. Yeah that's the same with mine, the rear bobs down really low. I want it more stiff, but not unbearable where the cabin just bangs and clunks in the rear.

I think my final setup will be close to the club touring. I don't mind the stiffness, i'm willing to sacrifice the comfort. And I want more of a drop so it sits a bit better visually.

Hey John

I cant remember all the details but Turners have a Bilstein Sport/ Eibach race spring combo which is said to be suitable for road use...not harsh...landed here around $nz1400 from memory

The billys on my schnitzer need replacing & this is the way ill go i think