Sign in to follow this  
Vr4wgn

BMW ONLY Dilemar

Hi guys I'm in a pickle and am hoping someone could shed some light in my dark dark corner...

As some know I own a e60 m54 2004 530i with front lh damage and am on the repair already BUT I have hit a roadblock

There seems to be a specific repair procedure and parts required as per link below and what my vin repair procedure stated

http://search.mywebsearch.com/mywebsearch/...l?searchfor=bmw

I am replacing the entire lh quarter. As I don't like the ding in the old 1

Iv had a quote from BMW for:

96x N1 rivets $395+gst

Glue $300+gst

Glue gun hire $350+gst

Rivet gun hire $500+gst

Is there any cheaper way lol??

Iv already invested $13500 into this car and cannot wait till I can finally drive it..

Errr - maybe that's why it got sold off cheap in the first place?....

Have you asked a local panel beater for a price to do it? Saves renting a rivet & glue guns etc.

Errr - maybe that's why it got sold off cheap in the first place?....

Have you asked a local panel beater for a price to do it? Saves renting a rivet & glue guns etc.

That IS thru a Panel Beater dude.

Hi guys I'm in a pickle and am hoping someone could shed some light in my dark dark corner...

As some know I own a e60 m54 2004 530i with front lh damage and am on the repair already BUT I have hit a roadblock

There seems to be a specific repair procedure and parts required as per link below and what my vin repair procedure stated

http://search.mywebsearch.com/mywebsearch/...l?searchfor=bmw

I am replacing the entire lh quarter. As I don't like the ding in the old 1

Iv had a quote from BMW for:

96x N1 rivets $395+gst

Glue $300+gst

Glue gun hire $350+gst

Rivet gun hire $500+gst

Is there any cheaper way lol??

Iv already invested $13500 into this car and cannot wait till I can finally drive it..

Probably not. Unless you're willing to risk using aftermarket glues & fixings and chancing failure. Maybe the prices seem high, but the owner will be looking to recoup potential loss from the business not being able to use them while they're on hire. And $850 + GST will still be significantly cheaper than buying them yourself, unless you plan on opening your own panel shop soon. The likelihood is unless the panels you're looking to replace are bolt on it'll be cheaper in the long run to have a professional do it for you. That way if the paint match is wrong, or something isn't aligned you have comeback. Instead of a home job that didn't turn out quite as hoped.

Might pay to get rid of that MyWebSearch too :)

what on earth is damaged that would require 96 rivets?

what on earth is damaged that would require 96 rivets?

he told you"the entire lh quarter"

Did you get quotes from someone to do the job for you?

In my mind if you already had the tools or had free access to said tools then the diy option might be for you. Otherwise I would recommend seeking professional help...

Was this a 'to good to be true' buy and now you wondering if the money paid will be money gained upon selling. On the other hand if this is the car for you and it will look great once finished why not spend the money and get it done right first time?

Post some pictures.

Edited by tcbaurpower

Hi guys thanx for the advice.

Just to clarify I am NOT doing the repair myself, whilst I'm a customiser this is not my profession lol, Friend & wrist rand in Palmerston North is doing the job for me,as said she is a beautiful car and I want it looking good .

I was just unsure if the quotes were within reason or extravagant that's all..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey Quinton - long time no speak, glad to see you are looking to move up from those Legnum's you love so much.

Any repair like that will have a "BMW Approved" process for the panel beater to follow, using "BMW Approved" materials, and tools. None of which will be especially cheap, and probably difficult to get hold of from anyone but BMW.

My suggestion would be if you want it done properly, which it sounds like if you have taken it to F & R, then do it this way, but try and haggle them down a bit on the price (if they are getting the bits from Jeff Gray then go and speak direct to then see if you can get them cheaper direct).

Christ that is a lot of damage. Spend the money or you will end up chasing your tail for a very long time.

I would even look at cutting your losses and selling it as is. That is a massive job.

I have replaced many quarters when I used to import damaged cars to sell about 10 years ago. Even through mates they always ended up costing another 30-50% over the quote. And that was on cheap Jap cars. Euros for repair I would not have gone near.

Hey Quinton - long time no speak, glad to see you are looking to move up from those Legnum's you love so much.

Any repair like that will have a "BMW Approved" process for the panel beater to follow, using "BMW Approved" materials, and tools. None of which will be especially cheap, and probably difficult to get hold of from anyone but BMW.

My suggestion would be if you want it done properly, which it sounds like if you have taken it to F & R, then do it this way, but try and haggle them down a bit on the price (if they are getting the bits from Jeff Gray then go and speak direct to then see if you can get them cheaper direct).

Jon?? Do I remember you? Sorry memory like a siv post cancer lol

Yes im just trying to see if we Haveto use approved adhesiv as I cannot find nowhere that it states I Haveto, it'll be a 800 savings if we can..

Christ that is a lot of damage. Spend the money or you will end up chasing your tail for a very long time.

I would even look at cutting your losses and selling it as is. That is a massive job.

I have replaced many quarters when I used to import damaged cars to sell about 10 years ago. Even through mates they always ended up costing another 30-50% over the quote. And that was on cheap Jap cars. Euros for repair I would not have gone near.

Thsnx for the info Dan,much appreciated.. I am going the approved way just trying to cut down on unnecessary costs where I can

I am not going to quit coz even at 18k it's still cheaper than buying..ey..

Thsnx for the info Dan,much appreciated.. I am going the approved way just trying to cut down on unnecessary costs where I can

I am not going to quit coz even at 18k it's still cheaper than buying..ey..

Just slap on a panel and you'll be right, haha. http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=44364

Jon?? Do I remember you? Sorry memory like a siv post cancer lol..

You used to work for me at Fruehauf Trailers, long time back. Sorry to hear you've had the big c.

At the best there will be a short list of options for the sealant to use, but probably only one.

You used to work for me at Fruehauf Trailers, long time back. Sorry to hear you've had the big c.

At the best there will be a short list of options for the sealant to use, but probably only one.

Ahhh I remember now....small world? No longer Quest??

Glad to see your well lol

And no I still do the legnums.. They're actually selling more this year than ever.. Sold 3 this week..

But that's ok I have another shop full to the brim already lol

Posted Image