Sign in to follow this  
Feist92

e36 gear rattle oil recommendations.

Hey guys

Just done a manual conversion on my 98 e36, btw thanks Brent for all the bits. It has been going perfect for about 300kms but just the other other day ive started to get gear chatter. It only happens with the clutch out in neutral and gets worse as it warms up, I did put in a single mass m20 flywheel that I lightened a little but only very conservatively. I have a feeling the oil I put in the gearbox is too thin which leads me to my question.

What gearbox oil are you guys running and where do you get it? I ended up putting in nulon synthetic atf but would appreciate any suggestions

Cheers

Jonathan

I use Elf 75w80 full synthetic synthese gearbox oil and still get a little rattle after spirited driving

I use Elf 75w80 full synthetic synthese gearbox oil and still get a little rattle after spirited driving

As far as I can tell that seems like a very good alternative. Did it at least improve the gear rattle?

Also where have you been getting it from?

i had the same thing replaced the oil stopped rattle for all 10km so i asked around chatter is normal theres nothing to worry about

i had the same thing replaced the oil stopped rattle for all 10km so i asked around chatter is normal theres nothing to worry about

What did you replace it with?