Sign in to follow this  
Arma

New subs in the 530i. Next: perhaps new TV/head unit

So I just got some subs installed on the white e39 530i msport (photos below). Got Soundstream 2 x 10" subs in single enclosure. Went for smaller subs for the clarity/thump in the bass and two of them so that i can get the loudness out (opposed to the single 12" i had in my 520i, which kind of lacked the 'thump' and clarity in the lows). Not really into the overly loud window shattering subs - just want something that sounds nice and clear.

My next step would be to do something with the factory headunit/TV. The factory system doesn't have a sub controller and the screen is a bit out of date, however I kinda like the look of the factory TV being there. Was wondering whether there is a suitable replacement aftermarket unit that any of you might recommend, instead of the factory TV/screen headunit? I heard some things about Dynavin - have not personally seen / used one. Is there a way to have an aftermarket screen installed but retain the in-built info on the screen such as fuel consumption, range etc. being displayed on it when I want? If not I may just resort to an Alpine/Pioneer touch screen head unit.. or Dynavin if it is worth it.

Photos of the new sub:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Arma

Nice! What amp are you running those off?

If you want to keep the factory headunit but manipulate the output you might want to look at a signal processor...

Thanks. I'm running a Fusion amp rated @ 1600W - can't remember the exact model name.

Noticed one thing - when I turn the car ignition + power off, the subs make a loud thump sound. Think I need to get a relay or something connected there to change the timing after power has been switched off - will take it in tomorrow to get that done. Other than that though these subs sound excellent.

Edited by Arma

I used to get a turn off thump with my previous amp. Turned out amp was faulty...

Simple delay relay between the remote power on input on the amp and the white cable that goes to the factory amp will stop the thump. Link

A dsp can be added to the factory system via a box called a intravee and a sony pxa processor.Link

or look out for a 3sixty.1 2 or 3 and do an RCA output mod to your factory tuner. I think the newer 3sixty.3 also accepts balanced audio so should be able to connect between the tuner and amps.

soundstream....

I like your taste. B)

Had the delay relay fitted. No more popping sound during power off. :)

Good result. Did Rapid do this for you?

Good result. Did Rapid do this for you?

The relay install? Yeah they did it for free (since they installed the subs in the first place - guess they forgot the relay). Took like 20 mins tops.

Edited by Arma

The relay install? Yeah they did it for free (since they installed the subs in the first place - guess they forgot the relay). Took like 20 mins tops.

How much would a reasonable sub + install cost @ Rapid would you say?

How much would a reasonable sub + install cost @ Rapid would you say?

Are you providing any of the parts or buying all from Rapid?

My sub install cost $800 - I only supplied the amp (which would've been an extra $300-400). They quoted me $800 for the install - the actual price + labour came to around $970 but they stuck to their quote so I essentially got a $170 discount. There was another soundstream single sub (12" I think) that was $800 just for the box, so + labor would probably come down to $950-$1000 assuming you provide the amp.

I guess putting some really rough estimates together (incl labour costs):

Assuming that you will be buying all the contents from Rapid Radio (Sub + amp)

Low end single sub (Some cheap JVC 12") + 1600w amp - Probably ~$400-$500

mid range single sub (Some OK Alpine, Pioneer, Soundstream etc.) + amp - Probably $600-1000

semi-high range single sub + amp - $1000-1500

Something crazy + amp - $2k+

I'd say mine fits in the higher-mid range and I'm loving it so far. But labour costs might be slightly different for your e46 opposed to my e39 (not sure how different the wiring and stuff is between them).

On my 520i a lower end sub + OK amp + decent head unit cost $1000 to install (all parts bought from them). I'd advise getting the a decent sub and amp from elsewhere and have them install it - unless you are not too fussy on saving a few bux ($50-$200).

Ouch! Where did they mount the amp?

Also - can you get the spare out? Just wondering :P

Ouch! Where did they mount the amp?

Also - can you get the spare out? Just wondering :P

Amp is mounted to the boot ceiling directly above the subs. Yeah can get the spare out - just! :D

Looks nice.

Plans to upgrade the speakers?

Thanks. Speaker upgrade will b done later on, not just yet. They sound pretty good as is for now. :)