Sign in to follow this  
tangalife

e39 amp replacement

I have a '97 e39 540i with the 4:3 monitor stereo unit (non dsp I think). It has the small factory amp in the boot. The sound is terrible, suprisingly bad considering it has an amp as well - I've heard alot better on standard systems running straight off the head unit. I've tried putting in new speakers in the rear but hasn't made a difference.

I have a sub and amp lying around, and am thinking of getting a new aftermarket head unit. I know nothing about car audio and the wiring/set up seems pretty complicated. couple questions:

1 - can the factory amp be replaced with a different one easily enough, or would a new headunit (with matching harness for plug and play) improve sound?

2 - can I use a new headunit (again with harness) and wire in a sub (and amp for the sub) seperately, i.e stock amp runs speakers as it is now, and seperate amp and sub running along side.

3 - anyone know of a car audio installer who knows there sh*t and sort any of this out? For basic stuff I have some mates who have some knowledge but if it gets to complicated im better off going professional.

cheers

Hey for starters have a look at this thread: e39

I wouldn't have thought replacing rear speakers is going to help you too much - I fade mine out completely. You're better off getting a good set of front component speakers and adding amp\sub if required.

My opinions on your other questions.

1. A new headunit might improve sound but I'd start with what you have. You can bypass the factory amp but if you're not confident you'd best get a pro to do it for you.

2. I wouldn't.

3. Where are you?

I'm going to go with the same answers that Michael above has said.

1. A new headunit is likely to improve the sound as the e39s factory system is quite old. You can have your own amp installed and bypass the factory amp. I'm using an aftermarket Fusion amp and had Rapid Radio in Auckland install them (They install things well, but buying products from them can be overpriced sometimes).

2. Wouldn't do that.

3. If you are in Auckland, I've had most my stuff done by Rapid Radio but I know there are a lot of other people that will come recommended. You might find some names if you browse through some of the topics on this forum section.

Cheers, yep in Auckland.

if I can just put in a different amp with my current stock stereo I would rather do that for the time being, then swap in aftermarket head unit down the track (maybe when they switch to digital TV reception in AKL rendering my monitor useless). The wiring in the current amp looks pretty complicated so will probably have to take it somewhere.