Sign in to follow this  
Jazzbass

engine size vs driving fun

As far as BMWs I've had:

E36 318

E36 325

E39 528

Looking back, the 318 was the most FUN to drive, 'cos I had to work it all the time to get anywhere fast.

In contrast, the 325 had much more power and was exhilarating, but still not quite as much fun - it was a bit too easy to drive - I didn't have to push it as much. Also I think the fatter tyres gave me less road feel. The 318 had 205s and the 325 had 225s.

The 528 is a very very nice car to drive, but I don't think its as much pure fun as the 3s. It is smoother, quicker, accelerates better, handles like a dream, but somehow - I don't feel the need to push it as hard.

I've also driven quite a number of other BMWs, including a couple of genuine M3s, a '84 320 Alpina (was my brother in laws until he rolled it), 328C, 330C, 320D, 535 and 540 and a couple of 7 series. Drove an M3 this morning and loathed it - 19" wheels just jar my old body way too much.

While the more powerful cars are great in their own way, it is my opinion that driving the less powerful cars brings out the better driver in me.

What is your experience and opinion?

big engine plus little car +mates = 335i funness.

the quote auto magic unquote from sam. is awesome. i have driven big cars and trucks and they are fun but still you cant beat the cornering of small cars.

but still you cant beat the cornering of small cars.

"welcome to my world!"

those who have driven my car... umm andy i think? will know the go kart feel :D

Cars are like girls.

Each different type has +'s and -'s. But you can rark the sh*t out of all of them whether it be a honda city, or a viper, nerdy girl with the glasses in the library or Jenna Jamison

Some people dont recognise this. Mx5 is a prime example. People moan that it is underpowered, but they are missing the point.

Guest Andrew

"welcome to my world!"

I love the badassness of the CR-X .. It could do with 50 hp extra and it would be the car I would own.

"welcome to my world!"

I love the badassness of the CR-X .. It could do with 50 hp extra and it would be the car I would own.
With your 9k turbo budget, and your car liquidated, surely you could create this with change left over?

Guest Andrew

"welcome to my world!"

With your 9k turbo budget, and your car liquidated, surely you could create this with change left over?
I may do actually - I have actually bought a honda :o

Will see what it is like when it gets here - not compliable.. probably totally routed it was SO cheap. Grade 2 hah.

"welcome to my world!"

yep... all in good time ...

"welcome to my world!"

I may do actually - I have actually bought a honda :o

Will see what it is like when it gets here - not compliable.. probably totally routed it was SO cheap. Grade 2 hah.

So it's finally happening. Th day Sic has been waiting for, bimmersport>mugen-spoon-skunk-sport

O the irony - my car is in for service so I'm driving a '96 318 loaner from Jeff Gray. Almost took it up the arse this morning when I forgot about the 318 acceleration from standstill - foot hard down etc...... and that Commode is a coming up fast.... gotta remember to choose my gaps better with a small engine!

Horses for course isn't it. It is no fun to drive an MX5 or a Lotus Elise in the outback of Australia. In the hills above Monaco or the Alps, now that is a different story.

I like torque, so generally a bigger motor (or one that's supercharged). But I love the Colin Chapman school of design, because it is the best.

Remember, if it has a motor or tits. It will cause you grief.

Our little Civic is fun to drive and like most (90%) of Hondas is cheap, fast and handles pretty well for what it is.

I had a Honda Civic for a work car. I didn't like it, so I tried to destroy it. The bloody thing wouldn't lie down and die!! I thrashed it in every way. The body got a bit twisted and it developed so many leaks that you'd have been drier outside in the rain, but that engine and gearbox were just indestructible... props to Honda.

I had a Honda Civic for a work car. I didn't like it, so I tried to destroy it. The bloody thing wouldn't lie down and die!! I thrashed it in every way. The body got a bit twisted and it developed so many leaks that you'd have been drier outside in the rain, but that engine and gearbox were just indestructible... props to Honda.

They don't like it when you snap their cambelts though, thats what my poor old civic suffered in the end.

May it RIP

But all in all...big props to Honda, I have owned four of them, and they never broke down, except for when the poor old civic gave its life.

Cheers

Grant

Guest Andrew

I actually forgot about this - the 98 Corolla (hatch) i drive despite having 30 hp is bloody awesome fun. It just WON'T understeer going stupid speeds round bends. It puts a huge smile on my face the other day.

But then again I smiled on the way home last night thinking the 525 was fast - i guess its been a while since i've driven my car hah.

i love my 318is. Sure i've never driven a bigger Bimmer but this car is so fun to drive and it's manual so i can drive it like a demon. Well i could until i lost my licence.

I had my 528 in for a new water pump and a blown hose and had two loan cars from the agents. The first was a 318 - when I had my 3s I loved them - now, they feel too small. Since I'd had a 325 for the last 4 years, I'd forgotten about needing larger gaps in traffic with a 318 - oops foot hard down!! LOL

The second loan car I had all weekend was a '99 520. It too needed a fair bit more right foot than I am used to. Somehow the black leather didn't seem as soft as my grey leather (I guess that's just an illusion) and I missed my sunroof and other gadgets.

Yesterday, I got my own car back...bliss!

Whatever you have - you have because you enjoy it and that's the bottom line to me. We each have different tastes and different expectations from our cars. Drive 'em to live and drive to have fun.