Sign in to follow this  
kiwi535

clever use of technology

not saying its BMW specific(maybe it is,but clever non the less

It's definitely not BMW specific...

My German former collegaues developed an adaptive lighting system & the first application was a Mercedes S class from memory. Think it hit production in around 2007? I saw a demo in the light tunnel, and even for someone involved with the design & engineering of automotive lighting it was mind blowing how good the bi-xenon adaptive lighting system was. Pity it is so damn expensive.

Did the drive from Aucks to Napier last night in an F31 with the adaptive lights - very impressed.

I have used the standard hi-beam assist before, which is cool - auto dipping full beam for oncoming traffic, plus the older adaptive where the lights bend around corners when you turn the wheel, but this system is that plus more, a whole new level.

The way the lights "track" the vehicle you are following, or coming the other way is awesome. You can see the dark section between the lights moving around the target. It also reacts very quickly and was only fooled once by a very reflective road sign.

My wife described it as "like watching a light show" as the beams danced around across the road and the verges.

Certainly made driving at night, especially in the rain, much easier with the better visibility. Definately technology that has a big benefit for those who do a lot of night driving, and not overly expensive now (for the buyer) as it is standard on many NZ new Bimmers.

Did the drive from Aucks to Napier last night in an F31 with the adaptive lights - very impressed.

I have used the standard hi-beam assist before, which is cool - auto dipping full beam for oncoming traffic, plus the older adaptive where the lights bend around corners when you turn the wheel, but this system is that plus more, a whole new level.

The way the lights "track" the vehicle you are following, or coming the other way is awesome. You can see the dark section between the lights moving around the target. It also reacts very quickly and was only fooled once by a very reflective road sign.

My wife described it as "like watching a light show" as the beams danced around across the road and the verges.

Certainly made driving at night, especially in the rain, much easier with the better visibility. Definately technology that has a big benefit for those who do a lot of night driving, and not overly expensive now (for the buyer) as it is standard on many NZ new Bimmers.

f31 have hid(xenon) lights?

Xenons are a (pretty cheap and well worth it) option on the lower models and standard on the higher ones in NZ anyways.

IIRC the adaptive lights are standard on the 335i and 330d xDrive models as well.

Xenons are a (pretty cheap and well worth it) option on the lower models and standard on the higher ones in NZ anyways.

IIRC the adaptive lights are standard on the 335i and 330d xDrive models as well.

yes my 120 d has factory xenon lights very nice to drive with,its funny too to see the ajusting going on as you start up and or come to a stop at night behind another vehicle...I am always sorta aware though that they may be very bright for other people...

That was one of the things I was wondering as we were driving along. Not just the brightness, but what does it look like for the car in front when the lights are dancing around?? Can't have been too bad or I'm sure the cars in front would have let me know.

That was one of the things I was wondering as we were driving along. Not just the brightness, but what does it look like for the car in front when the lights are dancing around?? Can't have been too bad or I'm sure the cars in front would have let me know.

they dont dance..sometimes as i come to a stop behind another car or say turn on the headlights in the garage before starting out i see the cut of rise and fall a few centimeters

That's correct with the Xenons, I was referring to the adaptive lights when they move or "dance about" and how that looks for the car in front.

the rise and fall happens on most bmws its the system checking the adjusters.

i have an e39 540i with standard hb4 bulbs, the lights dip down then up when i first turn them on.

the rise and fall happens on most bmws its the system checking the adjusters.

i have an e39 540i with standard hb4 bulbs, the lights dip down then up when i first turn them on.

yep my e34 did that too but its more noticeable withthe hids.I beleive the system is adjusting all the time automatically not just in response to the switch the e34 had and or at start up

yep my e34 did that too but its more noticeable withthe hids.I beleive the system is adjusting all the time automatically not just in response to the switch the e34 had and or at start up

Yes that's correct - xenons must have an automatic adjustment, which is normally based on the suspension travel/position. I don't know what the response time would be though - I would have thought it would be reasonably slow so you don't get big variations with bumps, but do get adjustment when you put a 300kg lump of concrete in the boot.

My E90 has xenon's & does the adjusting thing, but the E46 has normal lights and does the adjusting thing too upon startup.

We have a Ford Territory, but that just has candles on the front.

Its looks like a great system, one worth optioning if you can afford it!

I remember my E60 had the mid noughties spec Xenons, they were great from the drivers seat but they were also embarrassingly bright and annoying to other road users, I would get the high beam flash a bit from other road users and after being followed by a few E60's since I have to say they not a very friendly car to be followed by, not sure if it is model specific but I can actually spot a E60 a mile away.