Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Couple of unrelated issues E39

Since buying the 540i I've been troubled by an odd noise that sounded like it was coming from the centre console. Since removing the trim I've been able to identify the problem... But don't know how to fix it. Something has been trapped in the plastic duct for the rear air con outlet. When you brake/corner you can hear it rolling around but I haven't got a clue how to get it out, short of pulling out all the ducting... Which looks like a mission. Any suggestions?

The other thing is a dent in the bonnet... Well, it's not actually a dent, it's a slight but wide impression that I reckon has been caused by the bonnet being stressed in some way. Probably someone slamming it shut with some tools underneath... Which would make sense as the fan shroud is also cracked so most likely something left on top of there that has bent the bonnet.

Just wondering if this could be fixed by a paintless ding repairer (as there are a couple of other small dings) or would it need a panel beater?

Cheers in advance.

Can you pull the vents off the ducting and fish it out with your hand? (or wife/Childs smaller hands?)

Can you pull the vents off the ducting and fish it out with your hand? (or wife/Childs smaller hands?)

Tried that... Even my four year-old's hands are too big. Problem is the bend in the duct... You can't reach over it.

Piece of duct tape on the end of a long wire? I've fished a lot of stuff out of odd places with this method.

Can you post a photo of the dent on the bonnet? Most can be popped out to almost perfect provided it is no larger than a golf ball - but from your description it sounds more like a raised crease more than a indentation?

Piece of duct tape on the end of a long wire? I've fished a lot of stuff out of odd places with this method.

Good idea! Will give it a try.

Can you post a photo of the dent on the bonnet? Most can be popped out to almost perfect provided it is no larger than a golf ball - but from your description it sounds more like a raised crease more than a indentation?

I'll take a pic tomorrow but it may not be visible. It's less of a dent and more of a flat impression - which is why it's not that noticeable - about 15cm square in the centre of the bonnet about 20cm from the windscreen. I've tried pushing out it out by hand but no luck. Bonnet also flexes more than it should when you press near the middle, hence why I suspect that it has been very slightly bent or twisted somehow. Edited by jeffbebe

Make some form of elaborate system using a vaccum cleaner and plastic tubing.

Make some form of elaborate system using a vaccum cleaner and plastic tubing.

That could work... Will have to make some sort of filter as I'm interested to know what's stuck in there (and how it got there!

Empty the vacuum cleaner before you do it! Blamo! Man I'm full of it today haha.

Oh wait, I know. Get a funnel with a, let's say 1m piece of tubing.

fit the tubing over the funnel's spout and shove the funnel hard up against the vacuum cleaner's nozzle probably need someone else to hold it..

Edited by antil33t

Tried that... Even my four year-old's hands are too big. Problem is the bend in the duct... You can't reach over it.

try with a smaller diameter baby. :P

Have you got one I can borrow? I can return by overnight courier.

Have you got one I can borrow? I can return by overnight courier.

I stand corrected... This... Today. Nice work, son!

post-16586-1370830737.jpeg

post-16586-1370830751.jpeg

No more annoying swishing sound as the offending plastic screw rolls around in the air con ducting in the centre console.

Bonnet fix is going to have to be done by a pro. Anyone recommend a good paintless dent repairer - mobile or fixed?

You must owe you boy now!

Think how much more the car is worth without that dodgy noise :lol:

Bonnet fix is going to have to be done by a pro. Anyone recommend a good paintless dent repairer - mobile or fixed?

Standard DIY ettiquette dictates you have a go yourself then get the dent man to fix if/when it all goes wrong......

BTW, heard from e39 bumper man outside ebay- can i ask what you paid for yours?

Standard DIY ettiquette dictates you have a go yourself then get the dent man to fix if/when it all goes wrong......

Already tried to fix it myself and I'm experienced enough to know when to stop these days!!

BTW, heard from e39 bumper man outside ebay- can i ask what you paid for yours?

I think it cost me about $750 all up including shipping but the exchange rate was very favourable at the time. Make sure you at least pay through Paypal if you don't buy through eBay so you've got some protection.

Edited by jeffbebe