Sign in to follow this  
FRT

Impact Wrench

Im looking to buy a cordless impact wrench as im getting lazy with wheel changes these days...

Iv'e looked at Ryobi 1/2 inch drive 18v Li on + 1 system, 300NM torque, @ Bunnings - seems best bang for buck with 1 batt and charger $265 (any comments if you own one - good/bad?)

or

Dewalt DW059 WITH 406NM torque with 1 batt and charger around $400

Mikita BTW450 with 440NM torque with 1 batt and charger around$560

Any one selling a second hand one?

or know of a good deal other than bunnings and Trademe??

Cheers

Dave

Edited by FRT

I've got the Ryobi p260, the one from Bunnings . Changed both front springs of the e30 using the impact wrench to undo all bolts and removed the struts completely from the car, with one single charge and some juice left.

It's a solid performer and hasn't given me any trouble. I got the quick charge pack Drill (2 batt li-on + charger) with the impact wrench.

Have a read of the review (I haven't experienced the battery coming off once, and I've charged it at least a dozen times already). Its a bit bulky and might be difficult to negotiate some tight spaces. Invest in a good 1/2inch impact socket set (shallow and deep) with an extension.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/impac...-tested-gearbox

edit: ignore the tightening torque IMO, not that important.

Edited by dubman

Im looking to buy a cordless impact wrench as im getting lazy with wheel changes these days...

Iv'e looked at Ryobi 1/2 inch drive 18v Li on + 1 system, 300NM torque, @ Bunnings - seems best bang for buck with 1 batt and charger $265 (any comments if you own one - good/bad?)

or

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

I scored a cordless Ryobi Impact Drill Model BID1211 for wheel changing, $26 on TradeMe with 2 Batts, Charger & Case! It's not heavy duty, but does the job, I still manually torque each wheel after.. makes removing & reinstalling passenger seat a breeze on race days..

My boys now queue up to change the wheels !

John

Great ok thanks guys.

John does that 1211 have enough grunt to crack the wheel nuts off when they are torque up?

Found all the cheapies can't crack the nuts/bolts Dave. A few of my mates spent the money and got Snap on Gear. they are about 800.

They use them daily in a Pitstop store.

Edited by driftit

Great ok thanks guys.

John does that 1211 have enough grunt to crack the wheel nuts off when they are torque up?

Dave, no I usually crack the nuts first..

Mine is an impact drill that uses a 1/2" driver bit..

but for $26..

Found all the cheapies can't crack the nuts/bolts Dave. A few of my mates spent the money and got Snap on Gear. they are about 800.

They use them daily in a Pitstop store.

Yeah impact driver vs wrench.

All the grunty ones are 1/2" drive. That bunnings Ryobi $260 will def crack, got 375 ft pds of undoing ness.

or

Cheers

Dave

I've got the Ryobi 1/2 inch drive 18v Li on + 1 system, 300NM torque. It's a good all around impact wrench but would not really undo a properly torqued wheel bolt in one go. Overall, it's a good tool. Hope this helps.

ive never really looked into them but does anyone made a good 240v version?

looking at the price difference between a 18v Liion drill vs 240v wall socket they are much cheaper with more grunt

a power cord wouldnt be that much or a hassel in the garage, especially vs an air hose.

240v ones are available and quite grungy.

I ordered the Mack Daddy Makita BTW 450 so hope it's the real deal.