Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Updating ipads.

Six months ago I purchased 80 ipad's (ipad 2's) that are being used on our production floor at each work station for quality control documents ect.

Just wondering if there is an easy way to keep them all updated with firmware etc , Or am I going to have to go around each and every one and update them.

Edited by M-Spec

That's interesting never knew there was anything like that around.

That sync tray sounds like it would be a good solution to this, although you may need a few for so many iPads.

If you are referring to updates to iOS then this [rather old] guide below might be useful if you end up having to update the iPads one by one. I'm not sure how accurate it would be relative to the latest iPad/iOS. Idea is to not download the update for all 80 iPads but instead download it once, save the update file and re-use it with the other iPads - you'd be surprised how much time this can save especially if the download size is large:

http://ipadacademy.com/2011/04/ipad-tutori...sion-of-the-ios

Sorry, im not aware of a mass solution for this, but im sure this is one out there.

iPads are much more of a consumer orientated device than a work device, im not sure the traditional tablet laptop will be completely replaced.

But assuming they are already locked into an existing work appleID, should only be a half an hour to an hour if they are all in the same place to update them all. and lots of broadband data. Havent seen one of the docking stations Clint linked to before even in my work.

But that said, I'm still running iOS 4.something on a first gen iPad i sometimes use for work, and it still goes fine. i guess you need to ask yourself/team why you are updating them, is it just because the packet it came in says so, or because you need a new app that specifically requires a particular version of iOS

Cheers for that guys will look into things a bit further, don't think I will go down that 10 dock road though.

Have you thought about a MDM solution such as Airwatch ? Good for updating and pushing policies to "I" devices. Can be used for Andriod as well

Airwatch

Has a free trial