Sign in to follow this  
RustyItalian

Success flushing heater core...?

Hey

Noticed the other day that the passenger side heater on my new E61 wasn't blowing much heat. A bit of googling shows it to be a common issue.

If you have heater on and turn fan down for a few seconds, then fan speed back up you get a small burst of heat briefly, so there is a little flow though the core.

Has anyone had any success disconnecting the three heater hoses and flushing core with evil stuff to dissolve the muck?

Joys of lifetime coolant in BMW's. WTF were they thinking... :huh:

Edited by RustyItalian

Hey

Noticed the other day that the passenger side heater on my new E61 wasn't blowing much heat. A bit of googling shows it to be a common issue.

If you have heater on and turn fan down for a few seconds, then fan speed back up you get a small burst of heat briefly, so there is a little flow though the core.

Has anyone had any success disconnecting the three heater hoses and flushing core with evil stuff to dissolve the muck?

Joys of lifetime coolant in BMW's. WTF were they thinking... :huh:

A lot of the Model A guys swear by white vinegar mixed anywhere from 1:4 with water, up to 1:1 with water. Of course the Model A is just a cast iron block, and a brass radiator.... there's nothing complex in there!

The vinegar is quite gentle really, and is easy to flush out (just flush it a number of times though) and it's very cheap - you can flush when the coolant looks grubby, and do it again. Some of them left it in for a month before flushing. Because a lot of Model A's were Run with straight water in the blocks, there is quite a lot of rust in there - we got 1/2 a cup out of just out radiator, getting it rodded out. The guys who used the vinegar got rust coloured goo out! I've also used the same trick on some laser cut steel brackets that started to rust, and straight white vinegar cleaned them up in about 12 hours.

With all the thin aluminium parts in the BMW, I'd be more careful. I wouldn't think the vinegar was any worse than a radiator flush though (lots of which don't work anyway!).