Sign in to follow this  
a13antichrist

Signs a car has been thrashed?

my wifes e28 535ia nz new fsh , done 180000km now , leather on the gear knob and steering wheel looks to be in better condition than in your photos .

but my jap import 535ia with 140000km has a bit more wear than my wifes car .

maybe they dont clock many miles but spend a lot of time sitting trafic playing with the gear knob and steering wheel in one spot with big gold rings on etc .

My experience with E36 imports is:

both needed new steering racks - allow $1200 approx

both needed new rear shock mounts

both needed new front suspension bushes

both needed cat replaced (with coby)

both rattled (VANOS) like a bad of arseholes

But I thoroughly enjoyed both and would buy one for my kids if they wanted one...

Could be a build up of grime on that gear stick and would clean up perfectly with somthing like Pacer Restorall. Spit on your finger and rub a patch to test a bit.

Just cant tell from that photo.

My experience with E36 imports is:

both needed new steering racks - allow $1200 approx

both needed new rear shock mounts

both needed new front suspension bushes

both needed cat replaced (with coby)

both rattled (VANOS) like a bad of arseholes

But I thoroughly enjoyed both and would buy one for my kids if they wanted one...

early e36's suck.

I have had 2, and they both sucked. There has been a semi major repair in both of them.

The later ones are better, but that had a meltdown not long ago either and cost like $1800.

Makes me happy though coz so many posers buy cheap e36s so they can 'roll'. The only roll they get is the one out of their pocket to trade for BMW related goods and services, suckers.

Guest Andrew

Well i'm about to enjoy e36 ownership also

but hey I buy it cost from japan so a 97 with 55ks shouldn't give me sh*t - and meh i'll be able to retail it if it goes tits up.

This will be my second E36 after I wrote off the first one a couple of weeks ago. Only thing that seemed to be any problem with the first was the transmission - really jerky from 1-2 when cold, and when accelerating hard. Couple of electrical issues too with the CD cartridge popping out sometimes & the Air-con having a mind of its own.. other than that though, had no complaints.. this was a 96.

So no hesitation to go for the same thing again as the replacement. Just a shame there don't seem to be that many in bostongrün.. heh.

Guest Andrew

This will be my second E36 after I wrote off the first one a couple of weeks ago. Only thing that seemed to be any problem with the first was the transmission - really jerky from 1-2 when cold, and when accelerating hard. Couple of electrical issues too with the CD cartridge popping out sometimes & the Air-con having a mind of its own.. other than that though, had no complaints.. this was a 96.

So no hesitation to go for the same thing again as the replacement. Just a shame there don't seem to be that many in bostongrün.. heh.

I drove a bosten green E36 on Saturday .. He would go to 13 grand when I was neg. Coupe , 96, Mtech, Dual Air, 6 CD stacker

Had done 95000 - I couldn't justify spending money on what was essentially a 9 grand car.

But it was tidy and drove well:

Voyager Motors have it

Terry Moreton 09 486 3454

Hey Andrew,

Yeah I've seen that one. As yet I haven't been able to bring myself to accept those sorta KMs.. even this one here the 80km are too much.. Don't suppose you had a look under the front spoiler to see if the stone guards were still there?

Voyager have also got a 97 328 that looks very nice, only 49km and I reckon the $20k they're asking isn't too bad.. course there should be a sizeable discount given that it's not bostongrün... ;)

Edited by a13antichrist

Guest Andrew

Hey Andrew,

Yeah I've seen that one. As yet I haven't been able to bring myself to accept those sorta KMs.. even this one here the 80km are too much.. Don't suppose you had a look under the front spoiler to see if the stone guards were still there?

Voyager have also got a 97 328 that looks very nice, only 49km and I reckon the $20k they're asking isn't too bad.. course there should be a sizeable discount given that it's not bostongrün... ;)

nah didn't look underneath it - it was scratched in a few nasty places as well though - but yeah - way to high ks.

The black one was a minter - i think 20k is excessive - perhaps 17 would be a decent retail price on it.

As yet I haven't been able to bring myself to accept those sorta KMs.. even this one here the 80km are too much.

I thought 9-10,000 km a year was pretty low mileage????

Isn't the average 15-20,000km a year???

Guest Andrew

I thought 9-10,000 km a year was pretty low mileage????

Isn't the average 15-20,000km a year???

is it -

but an e36 with those ks just isn't worth 13 grand.

The one i just got was 97 with 56000 ks

Guest Andrew

The one i just got was 97 with 56000 ks

What are the specs on that one?
97 323 56ks, Dual Air, Half Leather, Sun Roof, Montreal Blue, 17" ACS wheels, Mtech kit (4 door). Unsure on CD stacker yet (hope so). All the usual stuff.

Sounds nice.. what sort of price, if you don't mind me asking? Montreal blue is my 2nd-favourite after the boston green.

I've been half-thinking about speaking to a dealer or someone & seeing if they couldn't source me exactly the model I'm after... is that done at all?

Guest Andrew

Sounds nice.. what sort of price, if you don't mind me asking? Montreal blue is my 2nd-favourite after the boston green.

I've been half-thinking about speaking to a dealer or someone & seeing if they couldn't source me exactly the model I'm after... is that done at all?

I paid cost for it 12500 -

I am a dealer/wholesaler - we could source what you were looking for.

Sure thing.

Actually what I'm after is almost exactly that black 328 at Voyager, but in Boston Green.

Essential specs:

Coupe

Bostongrün or Montrealblau

M-Spec + kit

NO rear spoiler or at least one that can be removed without leaving holes in the boot

97 or later

323 or greater

65km or less

Sunroof

Half-leather or better

Standard motorsport wheels or better

Ideal specs

328 - strong preference

Bostongrün; if Montreal blau, ivory/grey full leather trim.

Factory CD changer or MP3-capable head unit

Plastic stone guard still present under front spoiler - good sign it's been looked after

Full service records, obviously.

I prefer the T-shifter and 4-spoke steering wheel to the newer stick & 3-spoke versions but that's not a big deal. None of the E36 wheels came with CD & AirCon controls, did they?

If it has M Double Spoke style 135 or M V Spoke style 72 wheels (though must be set of 5) then that's a bonus but not really an issue.

Would consider a 98 328 in Artic Silver if it was absolutely perfect in every other way.

I don't know if that's particularly educational but that's what I'm after. I'm looking to pay up to $18-19k, but can stretch to 20 if neccessary.

Does that sound plausible? Thanks muchly Andrew :)

Edited by a13antichrist

Thanks mate, that would be awesome. Means I can stop thinking about trips to auckland for inspections.. :)

Come to think of it if there was any chance of an E46 323Ci in Orient blue with full leather trim & sunroof around $25k I would go for that too.. heh. I'm guessing though that E46s haven't quite come down that much yet, no?

Guest Andrew

Thanks mate, that would be awesome. Means I can stop thinking about trips to auckland for inspections.. :)

Come to think of it if there was any chance of an E46 323Ci in Orient blue with full leather trim & sunroof around $25k I would go for that too.. heh. I'm guessing though that E46s haven't quite come down that much yet, no?

nah the e46 i just got was 24500 for a 318Ci MY 00