Sign in to follow this  
albert72

STARTER RELAY

Anyone out there who can quickly point out where the starter relay is for an M20 E30? I found two relays on the side of the airbox, one blue and one white relay :blink:

I don't remember them having a starter relay. White should be DME and blue is probably the fuel pump relay

Manual doesn't, auto does, but to be honest - have never needed to find it though. It will be one of the relays behind the glovebox. Not under the bonnet.

Manual doesn't, auto does, but to be honest - have never needed to find it though. It will be one of the relays behind the glovebox. Not under the bonnet.

Thanks. At this stage I'm hoping it's just the relay otherwise time to look for a starter motor

Theres a couple of pins you can short out to test whether the start motor is functioning on the OBD port (can't remember off the top of my head which ones).

But chances are, the contact brushes have worn out.

If you've got some basic skills, I'd recommend getting some brushes (I got mine from BNT) and soldering them in - cost me $15 when I did it last year.

Thanks. At this stage I'm hoping it's just the relay otherwise time to look for a starter motor

Gave the starter motor a light tap with a hammer and viola, damn thing started. I guess brushes maybe shot. So the hammer is a main stay in my boot for the meantime till I sort out the starter motor :ph34r:

Edited by Tom325

Gave the starter motor a light tap with a hammer and viola, damn thing started. I guess brushes maybe shot. So the hammer is a main stay in my boot for the meantime till I sort out the starter motor :ph34r:

That is a "get you out of jail" trick. I would hate to think in doing breakdowms over the years, how many people have seen me do that to get them going (& warn that it needs fixing) only for them to think - I can do that, & do until ... it refuses to start ever again.

Adding to, another classic - they clout the yoke & break the permanent magnet fields - rendering it non repairable - new starter :)