Sign in to follow this  
elmarco

Mac Users / Experts

Righto, my old XP laptop finally lunched itself (motherboard / video card) so the only machine we have in the house is my wife's macbook pro. The problem is that there is one piece of software for a Kyocera printer (KM-Net Direct) that she must have access to that doesn't appear to be available for the Mac OS (she needs to print a format that is just gobbledegook in any other software).

The options as I see it are:

- Install XP & run it under bootcamp (I don't have an XP install disc)

- Buy another windows machine (don't really want to do this)

- Find an emulator to run this one application

Does anyone have any suggestions on an emulator that works? I've tried it with Wine Bottler & Crossover with no success so far. I did get Crossover to create the app & it even loaded correctly - just didn't print in anything legible. It's only one minor app, so an emulator would be best methinks.

Other suggestions??

Dont run an emulator, thats the worst solution you could do.

How old is the Mac? If its less than approx two years old it cannot physically run XP or even Vista, only 7 and 8. If its older than that, and rocks and Intel processor, then yes you can install XP via bootcamp. If your not sure, or its right on 2 years old, then i need to know the model number. Will be Axxxx, x's being numbers and found on the bottom of the computer.

I have done this on one of my Macs at work just for experience, mainly to see if it runs as good as a machine designed for XP, and really no difference except no right click of course, you need to press Command as you click the mouse. its quite easy to install, PM me and i can run you through it, but Im sure you can find a writeup online. The forums accessed though apple.com/us/ are very good.

If you decide its all to hard, i sell Windows desktops and laptops starting at just $40+pp through to whatever you need/want to pay. Call me 9-3pm mon-friday 045896293

burn it with fire.

Yup, thats the best thing for Windows...

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Run Xp over that.

+1, as long as you have a windows license and installer, Virtualbox is free and easy as pie.

OK - I grabbed an OE XP disc from work and installed Virtualbox. Everything installed without a hitch (including the printer utility) and even took the old Toshiba XP license key without asking questions. Wasn't expecting it to be so smooth....

Win!