Sign in to follow this  
Arma

Stock ECU Tuning

So I was wondering whether it is worth doing this without upgrading other parts such as intakes, headers etc.? Would there be any noticeable (in driving) difference if just the ECU was tuned (by Gavin for example) and the car parts were still stock?

I know someone in here (forgot name!) had their e46's ECU done by Gavin - wondering if anyone has done so as well with some decent, noticeable difference in driving? I'd love to have a bit more throttle response, and if possible some noticeable incrase in torque would always be awesome. This is for the 530i.

Just one of the things I'm considering / placing in my bucket list for later on, whilst meanwhile I bring the car into a stable, leak free condition. Since its just a 530i, not going to go overboard with performance mods, but just curious whether something like ECU tuning can be worthwhile at all.

Prefer not to get into forced induction as it's probably not worth it for a 530i - I'd probably be a bit paranoid anyway if I haven't upgraded other parts to be able to handle so much power. Please don't respond with 'get a 540i' - as much as I'd like to have one or an m5, that's not an option right now :D.

Any shedding of light will be appreciated.

Edit: Best person to ask would probably be Gavin.. and I probably should at some point.

Edited by Arma

Should be able to improve performance by a few horses and fuel economy with a good tune without upgrading other parts. Whether it's worth it is entirely up to you. Would imagine that a remap by a reputable tuner will cost around a grand.